• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slippin tranny

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
last night after some wheelin i got back on the highway and my auto tranny started slipping really bad. i decided to go to my g/f's house since i was driving right by there, and figure it out in the a.m.
i went out and put about a 8.oz cup worth of lucas in the tranny and tried it out. drove about 25 miles and everything was fine. i wasnt being aggressive at all in the woods last night, no real climbing. just some rolling hills thats it. the day before i went all the way up the mountain to see the eclipse and got drunk. drove back down with no incident.
some one please tell me that a fluid and filter change will solve this. i passed up a chance to go out again today just caue i didnt want it to happen in the woods.

check your fluid and see if its burnt. odds are it won't be as good as new if it was acting up after wheeling (even mild). adding new fluid would be a smart move, at least by draining the trans. pan and getting those 4 qts out and adding new stuff to the mix to dilute your old/possibly burnt fluid. If you wanna drop the pan you can swap the filter or clean your current one, should be a metal strainer. I would recommend a small trans cooler, even for a daily driver that never sees dirt. Its easy to do and has massive benefits on an aw4 and a small one is not gonna be expensive. (i'm talking easily under 100 bux for all the parts if you do it yourself, you could probably get a small cooler, hoses, and connectors for around 60 if you look for the best deals.)

Back