• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valves and stuff

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
Im pretty new at tearing into my 4.0, but I like it. I thought this weekend i would remove the valve cover and replace the gasket. Is there anything beneficial i can do while I have the cover off? Any servicing or cleaning up to quite things up, help compression? Thanks to all the gear heads-
cheers

Cleaning all the crud out that might have come to rest on top of the head is about it. Blow out the springs with carburettor cleaner, clean out the inside of the valve cover and the CCV baffles, and then put it all back together.

Idle the engine for 2-3 minutes after you get it all back together to rinse everything down into the sump, and then change the oil.

I've done some small writeups on changing the valve cover gasket and having it not leak here before, based on my own experiences. You may want to search them up.

Back