• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another problem...barely turning over

buzxj

NAXJA Forum User
Well for about a month my 95 xj country has not not really been cranking before turning over and starting. The volt gauge currently reads over 14 and now it barely starts at all! I replaced the starter with a remanufactured one about 6mos ago and the cables seem clean. Is this an alternator problem? Buz

I've also tried starting in neutral, same thing happens. It seems that when I crank the key multiple times it builds up some juice and will finally come alive, you can hear the fuel pump going but it won't start until the first actual cranking sound, and then it starts right up. I had the battery tested and it's fine, almost new optima red top. Help please, before I get stranded! Thanks, Buz

If you know that all +/- cables between the battery and starter are making good contact,

THEN it has to be the starter OR the starter bendix, If you have a amp meter that you hold

against A battery cable and have someone cranking the starter and if it reads around 400

then the starter is dragging. If that's not the problem, then the bendix is not making good

contact. OR you don't have good connections.
Hope this helps!

Back