• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
On my crossmember (2000 xj) there are two nuts and two bolts. The tcase drop that came with my lift has 4 new bolts with the spacers. How do I get those two bolts out when only the nut comes off?

You will have to get a stud remover or vice grips might work. I have an 01 and vice grips didnt work but it worth a shot if you dont have a stud remover. Good Luck

It is called a stud and you have to remove it by double nutting it (2 nuts back to back tight and back off stud), or with a stud extractor or with a pair of vise grips. Some break free or PB Blaster will definately help.

MG2000XJ said:
Ok thanks guys, its my first lift so Im pretty new to all this.

Its all good, somtimes those studs can be pretty stubborn. If they are really difficult to remove try heating them up with a torch, lightly tap the end with a hammer to loosen the rust, and let cool.

Ben H said:
It is called a stud and you have to remove it by double nutting it (2 nuts back to back tight and back off stud), or with a stud extractor or with a pair of vise grips. Some break free or PB Blaster will definately help.
x2 on the break free or PB Blaster! The double nutting didn't work on one of mine when I did it last month, however some big vice grips and some man-hands worked just fine!

On my 01 there was a hole in the sub frame just down from the studs on each side. Put the little red tube on your PB Blater can and spray away. Give them a good soaking. I couldnt get mine loose till I did this. I used the double nut method.

Back