• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Im throwing codes help(on my 97xj)...

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 with the auto and a 4.0 with that said my check engine is on and so I went to vato-zone to get it run and the guy said it was the the first o2 sensor and it was the transmission range sensor voltage??? Does anyone know what this could meen? I can fix the o2 sensor no problem but how can I fix the transmission range sensor voltage problem? I have just recently had the transmission not go into 4th on the freeway and I wonder if this is related to the range sensor thing. Any ideas?

Oh ya and can I erase codes my self without a scan tool?

Lookup cleaning the Neutral Safety Switch or NSS and how to remove and clean it. It's the switch on the side of the tranny thats controlled by the position of the shifter. They tend to get dirty after awhile and cause intermittent problems starting the vehicle and the reverse light to not work. It can also cause shifting problems if not adjusted correctly (loosed hold-down bolt and rotate).

so the neutral safety switch could make it so sometimes it wont shift out of third? I really dont like 3k at 65-70mph...

Never heard of the NSS causing shifting problems while driving.....that's usually a TPS (throttle position sensor) issue. Atleast, thats what mine was when mine decided it didn't like to hold 4th gear anymore on the highway...

As far as reading and clearing the codes yourself without a scanner....no, you'll need a scanner of your own. If you plan on keeping this Jeep for a while, or have any other OBD-II vehicles, it will be well worth your while to get one. They've become relatively cheap now. Shop around on the internet and see what you can find (places like Harbor Freight and Northern Tool sell them, as well as just about any other place that sells anything automotive related.

I'm in the same boat I don't have 4th sometimes and my check engine light will come on before it happens. I think it is related to the nss but its been cold lately and I haven't had the time to dig in to it. The light will go away by itself and it stays away for a couple of days or weeeks at a time there is no rhyme or reason

I am having same problems been told to check and adjust TPS, i cant get over drive 98 xj 4.0 awd Its my own fault been using it for what it was made for (getting dirty) Lol. I will get round to doing the job and report back.

99XJSPORT06 said:
Never heard of the NSS causing shifting problems while driving.....that's usually a TPS (throttle position sensor) issue. Atleast, thats what mine was when mine decided it didn't like to hold 4th gear anymore on the highway...

As far as reading and clearing the codes yourself without a scanner....no, you'll need a scanner of your own. If you plan on keeping this Jeep for a while, or have any other OBD-II vehicles, it will be well worth your while to get one. They've become relatively cheap now. Shop around on the internet and see what you can find (places like Harbor Freight and Northern Tool sell them, as well as just about any other place that sells anything automotive related.

If the NSS is so far out of adjustment that it's telling the TCU the shifter is in (3), then I can certainly see the TCU not shifting into 4th gear. In (D), the switch doesn't make any connections so being dirty alone couldn't cause this problem.

doorsystems said:
I am having same problems been told to check and adjust TPS, i cant get over drive 98 xj 4.0 awd Its my own fault been using it for what it was made for (getting dirty) Lol. I will get round to doing the job and report back.

my 98 did the same thing no o/d had to get tranny rebuilt (300,000) miles though :flame:

Back