• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears or other stuff???

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
So I have 31's with 3.07's , its really not bad at all.....I have a grand to spend right now but I am torn between gears or other stuff....This is the list

Option 1:
Gears

Option 2:
JCR stage 3 front bumper
Dynomax Cat back exhaust
High flow cat
APN header
new head lights

Which option would you go with??

Thanks

Mike

Kinda depends on your plans for the jeep. Bigger wheels? More lift? Mild offroad driving or running the Rubicon?

Taller gears will get you closer to the proper RPM band, a high flow cat/exhaust will only help exspell exhaust a little more efficiently.

Good bumpers are important, but strong recovery points will do in a pinch.

Quality lighting doesn't have to cost a fortune. Silverstars are about $20 each.

Seems to me that your best bang for the buck...gears.

hmmm...the gears really arent they bad...Im alweays in 5th, never have to downshift, around town is good and my MPG isnt too bad either....

I would go with gears now since that is one of the highest costing mods. For me it easier to come up with a few hundred to blow into my jeep then a thousand is.

You sounds like me xbajajeepx! From your last post, it seems like you know what you want to spend the $$ on ( the good looking stuff), Just b/c you cant show your new gears off, doesnt mean you shouldnt get them now! Plus, we all go bigger eventually and you will be wishing you had the lower gearing!

IMHO get your armor first. Rock sliders and underside protection. A winch goes a long way for self confidance. You might decide to go up in altitude and bigger tires and you will have to do gears again. I run 4.56 gears with 31" tires because I only want to do gears once. I sit pretty low CG and armor and a winch keep me moving foward.

I did just that! Bit by bit, 3 years later my rigs looks nice and is protected well. But when a set of swamper 35 12.50 came up cheap, I had to get em. I'm in a serious need to regear.

Either way is a good route, $1000 to blow on your rig is always a good day!

a locker?

Frank Z said:
I'll go against the grain a little more and suggest that before armor/lockers, learn to wheel your stuff unprotected and open. Doing so will force you to learn your vehicles limitations and capabilities. Far too often we all see people on the trail in built rigs that can't drive worth a hoot who's answer to every obstacle is "More Skinny Peddle"!

Actually far to often, i see people on the trail with unprotected & open vehicles that are causing a major pain in the a$$ to those of us who chose to actually prepare their vehicles........ just my 2 cents.

And go with gears..... you wont regret it!

Back