• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Pumps

recycledxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 1989 Jepp XJ w/4.0. My question is that my steering pump is badly leaking and Im too cheap to get a reman one form he local auto parts store and I wanted to know what years are interchangable so I know what year to look for at the junk yard.

I put an 89 pump in my 95, so I know they go that far, and I know that 87 was the same. I believe in 96 when they changed the pulleys and tensioner they also changed the pump. I would go then with 87-95 as the likely candidates.

Make sure the junkyard has a warrantee on the pump, and check down the page for a thread on bleeding the pump when you put it in.

Funny you should mention that. When I got a pump from autozone it didn't have a cap. I suppose it wasn't supposed to come with one because when I returned it without a cap (I reused my cap) they didn't question it.

My old cap was fine though and no leaks so no worries.....

Blaine B. said:
Funny you should mention that. When I got a pump from autozone it didn't have a cap. I suppose it wasn't supposed to come with one because when I returned it without a cap (I reused my cap) they didn't question it.

My old cap was fine though and no leaks so no worries.....

How do you know if your ps pump cap leaked? Do you spend alot of time upside-down? :huh:

Thank you everybody for the info and helping me save a couple of dollars, and I am going to put a cooler on my return side this time so it wont blow out again...

Jess said:
How do you know if your ps pump cap leaked? Do you spend alot of time upside-down? :huh:

You'd see oil on the resivoir and components beneath the pump.....

Mine did largely leak before I replaced it (the pump that is) and left a puddle daily.

I clean my engine occasionally and can tell where leaks are.

Back