• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maint Required Light

AkJeepKid

NAXJA Forum User
So this thing has been on since I got my jeep. its a '91 and i got it a few months ago. Due to certain stupid decisions on my part I'm not able to drive for a few more months. Anyway I figure its a good time to fix/tune-up/maintain what may have been neglected in the past.

Any idea how to get the light to go off? Is it possible there is a code for said light?

Any help would be great, thanks

Robert

Maint Required is a reminder light, time to do normal maintenance.
It comes on every 5k I think.

"Check engine" is the one that means a problem and a code.

I didn't know that early of an XJ had the light? All of my bulbs are good in my 95 and that's never come on.....and I never take it in for service at shops/dealer.

Maintenance Required light comes on every 82,000 miles, to remind you to replace the Oxygen (o2) sensor.

It is set off by a timer under the dash near the steering column.

Only a dealer can reset it. That's how they make money.

Just pull the bulb out of the socket.

Nope. It is triggered by a timer. PCM does not control it.

If you can find the timer, you could unplug it. I couldn't find mine.
I
t will be a black or clear box, with only on terminal.

Do all have it?

I replaced the cluster on my 96 with one from an early 90's, either 1 or 2 and now that maint required light lights up every time I start it with the check engine and other lights, didn't happen with the original cluster

maybe the bulb was burnt out?

maybe something with 96 being OBD-II?

Could be, I thought I saw it on the dash panel where it said maint required.......but I forget if it had a bulb socket or circuitry for a light behind it. All Jeeps use the same panel, just like they all use the same wiring harness........but some don't have certain options and features.

My '88 owners' manual states the Emissions Maintenance timer was only included in Canadian models. Well, I don't beleive that, since so many people on this forum have encountered it. My jeep didn't have the timer (prior owner removed??), but did have the light and a loose connector that I assume plugged into the timer. I used the circuit as my "check engine" light when I installed my OBD1 Chevy engine.

Back