• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky gasket

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
A simple fix for most of you im sure but I, for the life of me can not get my oil pan gasket to seal. I have dropped the pan twice now. I will start it up, then the leak starts comming out like crazy. pretty sure out of the collar inbetween the tranny and oil pan. How can I get this thing to seal up? i have the expensive rubber gasket, should i use rtv? maybe im torqing the bolts down too tight? any help on this simple fix would help.

SUA SPONTE said:
A simple fix for most of you im sure but I, for the life of me can not get my oil pan gasket to seal. I have dropped the pan twice now. I will start it up, then the leak starts comming out like crazy. pretty sure out of the collar inbetween the tranny and oil pan. How can I get this thing to seal up? i have the expensive rubber gasket, should i use rtv? maybe im torqing the bolts down too tight? any help on this simple fix would help.
I will tell you one thing, those perma dry expensive rubber gaskets do not like too much torque. On the later style (96+) valve covers that use the perma dry gaskets they only require 10 ft/lbs to give you an idea, which I took as about hand tight with a socket, not even on the ratchet itself. I'd try backing off the torque a little before you drop the whole pan again. Or as Robert pointed out, you may have a leaking rear main too, unless that was the whole reason you dropped the pan in the first place. Anyway just my .02.
-Collin

Last edited:
I had a hard time doing that gasket on my own too. I would lay a bead of RTV on the pan and around the holes for the bolts and then put the gasket on and then install the pan. Definitely use a torque wrench. I'm not sure what it is about that area you're talking about but I cut the first rubber gasket I installed in that spot. Good luck.

Back