• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have experience with Cherry Bomb Pro mufflers?

92westshady

NAXJA Forum User
So I am looking for a cat-back system for my cherokee. I think I am gonna go with the Rusty's system. They now offer three muffler options with their system, the Flowmaster 40 and 50 series and the Cherry Bomb Pro. I am looking for the most mellow exhaust so I know between the 40 and 50 series I should consider the 50 but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the Cherry Bomb Pro.

I know traditionally people think of glasspacks when they think of Cherry Bomb but if you look at the Cherry Bomb web site (http://www.cherrybomb.com/pro-mufflers.html) you will see the Pro muffler is very similar to a Flowmaster design and is not a glass pack.

My questions is, does anyone have a Cherry Bomb Pro on their Cherokee or has anyone heard this exhaust that can give an opinion of it compared to the 50 series? I want to go with the quietest one. Any experience or input is appreciated. If someone has a clip of the Cherry Bomb Pro on their XJ that would be really awesome too.

Thanks,
Steve

Muffler choices

Ditto 92Westshady,

We are walking down the same path regarding the Flowmaster / Cherrybomb choices. I too am looking for more flow to compliment my K&N intake on a 4.0 engine....but resonably quiet!!

As 92Westshady put it...any help / advice is appreciated!

Thanks, All.

Joe Nickols
Tucson, Az

I have a Spintech muffler on my XJ and it sounds a whole lot better than the Flowmaster I had on there before. Much deeper tone and so far its held up better to rock rash than the Flowmaster did. www.spintechmufflers.com

AARON

i have no expierence with the cherry bomb pros, but just so you know the flowmaster tech department recomends the 50 series regualr or delta for the 4.0 xj. You can make a 40 series work, but the performance is better or more "ideal" with the 50 series, and it is the more mello of the two with the delta being the quietiest.

I have the orginal 50 series, with a borla header, new magnaflow cat, and 2 1/2 inch pipes. It sounds baddass but not obnoxious.

Re: Muffler choices

jnickols said:
Ditto 92Westshady,

We are walking down the same path regarding the Flowmaster / Cherrybomb choices. I too am looking for more flow to compliment my K&N intake on a 4.0 engine....but resonably quiet!!

As 92Westshady put it...any help / advice is appreciated!

Thanks, All.

Joe Nickols
Tucson, Az
You didn't just mention a Cherry Bomb and the word "quiet" in the same sentence did you? Cherry Bombs are not quiet, especially with aftermarket pipes.

Starscream said:
You didn't just mention a Cherry Bomb and the word "quiet" in the same sentence did you? Cherry Bombs are not quiet, especially with aftermarket pipes.

I don't think the one he is talking about is like the typical Cherry Bomb that everyone thinks about. Click on the link that he put out, it does have a design similar to the Flowmaster.

Unless you have one of the Cherry Bomb Pros now and it does sound like the typical cherry bomb?

I am curious to see how the CB Pro sounds/performs because I think it is fairly new.

The spintech mufflers look interesting. Will they make the inlet and outlets fit the factory cat?

MrShoeBoy - Do you have a sound clip or can you take one of your XJ with the Spintech?

klennop said:
I don't think the one he is talking about is like the typical Cherry Bomb that everyone thinks about. Click on the link that he put out, it does have a design similar to the Flowmaster.

Unless you have one of the Cherry Bomb Pros now and it does sound like the typical cherry bomb?

I am curious to see how the CB Pro sounds/performs because I think it is fairly new.
That thing has much less baffles. It'll be louder.

yes i agree with the magnaflow-mine sounds awesome-straight through too not even loud at all.check ebay for them.mines 2.5 with a rustys tailpipe.i even have a hi flow cat 2.5 stainless steel i got from ebay also.I did get one with an o2 sensor threaded bung in it to run my air fuel ratio gauge.I would have ran it to the stock o2 sensor but hey mines an 88 renix system-cant use most air fuel ratio gauges with that type sensor-total different voltage

A standard cherry bomb 'muffler' is nothing more than a glass pack. I wouldn't run one as a primary muffler. However, adding a cherry bomb to an existing exhaust system ahead of the muffler, should make your exhaust quiter. It might make it a bit buzzier, but it will help with the noise. With that said, I know that the poster is referring to a different type of 'cherry bomb'.

92westshady said:
The spintech mufflers look interesting. Will they make the inlet and outlets fit the factory cat?

MrShoeBoy - Do you have a sound clip or can you take one of your XJ with the Spintech?

They make all sorts of in and outlet sizes, if you check out their site, there should be a list of all the sizes. I do not have a sound clip and cant get you one since I have the motor at the machine shop. After the Crane cam died for the second time, it took out the rest of the bearings in the motor. So I am starting from scratch with a new 4.6L stroker motor with a Hesco cam and valvetrain.

AARON

MrShoeBoy - Thanks for the update, I see why you can't get a clip. I checked out the site but it doesn't seem to list the necessary inlet and outlet diameters. By the way, the sound clips they have on their site sound crazy loud, I am guessing the 4.0L must make it sound much different.

markaboo929's - I have listened to the Magnaflow on their site, they have clips of a 4.0L wrangler. It does sound good and I think I want to go this direction but the price is really high compared to the Rusty's cat back system. Do you have a direct link to a site or auctions or a seller on ebay that sells your setup? Did you buy it as a system or peice it together? If you did peice it together do you have the part numbers. From what I know the advantage of the Rusty's system is that they have flowmaster make a 50 series specifically for them that is 2" in and 2.5" out. Does Magnaflow offer this configuration?

Could you post a a sound clip of your magnflow on your XJ? Or if you can't post one email it to me and I will post it. It would be nice to hear the magnaflow muffler with the Rustys tailpipe that sounds like a perfect economical combo. [email protected].

UPDATE: By the way I spoke to Rusty from Rustys Off Road today and he said they have tested the Cherry Bomb Pro and it is about the same decibel sound level as the Flowmaster 50 Series. He said it has a different sort of sound but they are about the same in loudness. So it seems I have narrowed it down to either a 50 Series or the Magnaflow.

Okay, so I have narrowed it down to three exhaust possibilities.

1.Rusty's Cat Back System (2.5" Pipe and Flowmaster 50 Series Deltaflow muffler)
2. Magnaflow Cat-back
3. Borla Cat-Back

I know the Rusty's setup is obviously the cheapest system at $150 and for this reason alone I think it might be worth a try. But I am wondering has anyone any heard all of theses systems and can anyone definitively tell me from first hand experience their impressions of each and which has the most mellow tone and which makes the least noise and resonance in cab at highway speeds? Keep in mind I am interested in quiet true performance not wake up the neighbors, it sounds like it's fast, noise.

Thanks

Hahaha I have the cherry bomb resonator on mine as a muffler...its got a really nice, throaty sound to it. I like it.

Ive got the Magnaflowon my 91. Rich,mellow note. I live out in the country ( pretty quiet) with some nearby neighbors. I'm pretty self conscious of the noise I create coming up the hill, but when I lend my rig to my daughter to enjoy I get to hear her arrive home--surprisingly quiet. The indy muffler shop in Santa Cruz installed it,ran 2.5" pipe, did a bit of a tummy tuck with the pipe ahead of the cat for more clearance and fabbed up a heat shield for the top of the muffler, while I waited an hour. Under $150 total. Oh, and they ran a bead on my cracked header, but that's another issue altogether...

Thanks for the input, I am still deciding which exhaust to get. I have it narrowed down to the Magnaflow and the Rusty's Cat-Back with the 50 Series Flowmaster muffler. The best price I could get on the Magnaflow systems was around $300 so considering the Rusty's system is almost half that at $150, I almost feel obligated to try it first. Then if I hate it I can sell it for a few bucks and order up the Magnaflow.

2kLimited said:
i loved my dynomax on my 96 and will soon be getting one for my 00

I like the way mine sounds also....agressive but mellow.If you get the one that is listed for a 4.0 yj its only $30.00 where as the same muffler for the xj is $70.00.

part # is 17731 and requires about $5.00 in adapters to get it to fit.

Back