• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tool question

Got them, and they work pretty well. Try with some penatrant(PB Blaster) or some heat on the bolt first.

2nd that, I have used them on 8mm valve cover bolts that the snap on extractors couldnt touch, we keep a set in the shop ( Ford dealer) I have found that it sometimes helps to both twist on and tap with a hammer to get it fully seated. and definetly use some pb blaster that stuff is awesome.

another good way to loosen a bolt that is stuck is to smack it squarely on the head with a hammer a few times...it jars loose the rust and whatnot in the threads and will loosen easily after.

I've used those Craftsman removers on stripped lug nuts, and they weren't effective. They just rounded the nuts off to the point where I had to have a shop remove them. I like the 'hammer on a smaller socket' trick for stuck lug nuts. I'd expect the removers to be more effective on a diff cover bolt than a lug nut; lug nuts seem pretty soft in comparison.

Mambeu said:
I've used those Craftsman removers on stripped lug nuts, and they weren't effective. They just rounded the nuts off to the point where I had to have a shop remove them. I like the 'hammer on a smaller socket' trick for stuck lug nuts. I'd expect the removers to be more effective on a diff cover bolt than a lug nut; lug nuts seem pretty soft in comparison.

There is a different kind of remover for lug nuts, the ones he posted are for harder bolts.

If you are talking about XJ stock lug nuts, peel off the aluminum coating and wrench on the regular nut underneath.

I used them the other day, worked great. You can imagine how "frozen" an OEM wheel cyl. bolt on a '90 would be. I tried everything but only managed to begin to round off the bolt head. "Tapped" on a remover and presto, that bolt didn't stand a chance.

Back