• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Saturday project - new shocks nad eliminate stem mount

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having troubles with the factory stem style shocks, and eating thru the bushings or the hardware backing off. On top of that, I will need longer shocks soon and these are becoming too short.

So I decided to install another set of our shocks from work, for now, and get the upper mounts converted over.

Here is the problem I was having, notice the upper bushing is destroyed. I've had this happen twice now, and had the stem nuts back off a good 3 or 4 times.
shocks07.jpg

So here are the new shocks, the old were 26" extended and 16" compressed. The new ones are about 25.25" extended and 15.25" compressed. These are our own Warrior 60.5mm Part #60502 shock, made by Heckathorn, so basically the same thing as a Rough Country Shock, which is also what came out of the Jeep. The pair cost me around $50
shocks01.jpg

To solve the upper mount issue, I went with again with the conversion mounts we make at work, Warrior Part #161. Had I been thinking about it, I would have ground some of the powdercoat off and welded the upper bolt into place, and the side nut as well, woulda made install way easier. This ran me about $10 with all the hardware
shocks03.jpg

To take care of the bottom, I didn't want to re-use the Rough Country bar pins, nor did I want to take the time to pound them out, so I got some of the bar pins we have at work. The nice thing about these is that they are made from solid stock, instead of tubing with flattened ends.
shocks04.jpg

Finished product, notice I have no bumpstops in so I can fully compress the suspension to check lengths and measurements. Nevermind the fact that I just don't have any to put in yet.
shocks08.jpg

In the end I went out and did the proper thing. Go flex it on something and see how it turned out.
shocks08.jpg

shocks10.jpg

They still peg out at full droop, as expected. Also, I still have room left on the compression, I think I can safely get another inch longer shock in there, and then with the ACOS I intend on getting, a 28" shock.

Here is the picture of it compressed, you can barely see it, but there is still about 3 inches from the shock body to the top of the shock, you can also see that my springs are just about fully compressed.
shocks11.jpg

All in all this helped a ton, killed all those nasty clunk noises and really smoothed out the ride and steering. I definitely recommend eliminating your stem shocks on any lifted Cherokee

I like those BPE's, can I get some and how much?

Those look good. And X2 on the lower pins. I could use a few. :)

ANd if you want a little longer shock, you can use some DOM or pipe with longer bolts under the bottom bar pin. Maybe be a little unstable with the round bar pins, though. Could weld a little strap to each of them to keep them tied together, too.

kcsterling said:
I like those BPE's, can I get some and how much?

They're not really BPE's they're just BP's. Just a stronger better style of them. They're part #106 or #107 from Warrior Products. They sell thru dealers, so quadratec, 4wheelparts, central4wd, morris motors, all those guys can get them for you.

wishihad1 said:
how much were those top mounts???

Probably around $20ish retail, same as above, and the part # is 161

Back