• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump or sending unit?

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
So basically my oil pressure has been really weird lately. sometimes it'll be at normal pressures, and other times it'll be wayyy low and sometimes it will stay at zero. and sometimes when im stopped the pressure will be at zero and then when i accelerate the pressure goes up...and when i slow down it goes down. any input on whether or not this is the oil pump or just the sending unit? im getting it fixed probably tomorrow and it would save me a lot if all i needed was a new sending unit. any input is appreciated. thanks.

It's common for pressure to decrease at idle, and increase on acceleration..

It's normal when you start it up cold right? Then as the engine warms up, and the oil gets hot, the pressure drops.. It's common in all high mileage I6's... It's a sign of main and rod bearing wear...

My guess would be that it's neither the sending unit, or the oil pump.

sometimes its normal and sometimes its not..but it doesn't drop as the engine warms up... my Check Gauges light comes on as a result of the pressure being so low...usually at zero.

Back