• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel backspacing

kewlkatdady

NAXJA Forum User
This may be a idiotic question...

but if you have a 15x10 in wheel with 4" backspace,

is the 6" going to be outside or inside?

I'm trying to find some wheel that will tuck more with full widths.

ok just making sure...

that means a 15x10 with 4" backspacing will stick out 6" (roughly) from the wheel mounting surface....

correct?

kewlkatdady said:
ok just making sure...

that means a 15x10 with 4" backspacing will stick out 6" (roughly) from the wheel mounting surface....

correct?

Basically. You'll have 4" in the back, then whatever's left of the 6" after considering the thickness of the mounting surface will be in the front.

If this helps at all, I had 15x10 with 3.5" of backspacing with a 12.5" wide tire and my tire stuck out a good one and one half+ inches past the flares. Basically it was just over one whole lug/cleat on a mud-terrain that was outside of the flare. If you are trying to run a rim that will still hold a wider tire, like the most used 12.5 width and still tuck somwhat under the flares and be able to stuff up in, I would go with 15x8 with 4" BS, instead of the 15x10

I think I'm going to end up running a 15x8 with 4-5" of backspacing.

I'll be running full widths (65" WMS-WMS) and I understand that it will be wider but I just want to try and keep the advantage of XJ width (or as close to possible) without having to cut the axles down.

I'm in between the 35x10.5 and 35x12.5 tires...
I figure about 5" of lift and plenty of fender trimming.

Dont forget that 4" of BS is measured, as mentioned above, from the outside of the wheel down to the mounting surface on the backside. But that is not where you rim width is measured. That is measured inside the rim where the bead of the tyre rests against. A wheel measured to the outside is actually a inch wider so you will have 4" towards the inside, but have 7" from the wheel mount towards the outside. That is damn lot of leverage against your bearings which will shorten their life.

im not really tooo worried about bearings and such for the simple reason that this is a trailer queen only...

no on road driving except from the backyard to the trailer.

I think I wanna run the 15x8 inch wheel for bead strength with a 10.5-12.5" wide tire.

So on a 15x8 inch wheel with 4-5" backspacing...would be fine.

Really this wheel would be fine for on road driving.

Back