• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL Code read

SteveT

NAXJA Forum User
My CEL has been on, for a while, and I'm having a little trouble reading the flashing codes. It's a '96, AX-15, 4.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Rtm2P1gvE

I found the post with the conversion from flash-to-error codes (i.e. 55 means all done), but I can't find it again. If someone can post that, also, that'd be great.

The engine seems to run fine, and mileage has not changed. My first attempt to read the codes lead me to think it was a coolant temp reading too cold, but like I said, I can't find the post that explains the codes. Plus, I'd like a second (or many extra) opinions.

Thanks,

Steve

All vehicles, starting in the year 1996, are equipped with the OBD-II system, and it is read differently than the OBD-I (pre 96) system. I'm not sure if the code blink trick works on the 96 or not, but ANY Autozone will read the code for free using an OBD-II scanner they have. They don't have the ability to clear them, just read them.

Matt - thanks for the link. Part of my problem is what I've found (from the AllPar site) is "... consider that the blink-spacing is not always perfectly uniform, so if you see 23 23, it's probably just a single 55. (Codes are not repeated.)"

So, what I'm reading is: 12 21 21 17 55

I thought the codes went in ascending order, and that they did not repeat.

Now, I know that there are much more entertaining things to watch on YouTube, but can someone who's done the blink read before tell me how you're reading the flashes? Please...waste a minute of your day.

Thanks

p.s. I'm at home with my two little boys, one of whom just had foot surgery, so I'm unable to get to an auto parts store today. (can ya' hear the violins playing sad music in the background? :)

Looking at the chart in my Haynes manual for 91-97 models;
12;battery voltage disconnected within last 50 key-on cycles.
17;engine running too cool-check thermostat, coolant sensor and curcuit, replace sensor.
21;oxygen sensor:check sensor and curcuit, replace sensor.
if that 21 is a 33;Air conditioning clutch relay:check the curcuit to the AC clutch for an open or short-curcuit condition.
55;End of code output.

Now how to check:
coolant sensor-engine cold aprox. 7000 ohms, operating temp., less than 1000ohms
O2 sensor- meter the 2 white wires, should be between 5-7 ohms engine cold
Hope that helps. Chris

Last edited:
I just looked at the video. I'm guessing from the timing that it's a 33, not two 12's. What you could do to confirm this would be to force either a 12 or a 33 and see what you get for a code. Unplug an 02 sensor, or unplug the AC/clutch relay, perhaps. (eta) or of course you could take it somewhere and have the OBDII codes read, since they're usually a little more informative.

Matthew Currie said:
I just looked at the video. I'm guessing from the timing that it's a 33, not two 12's. What you could do to confirm this would be to force either a 12 or a 33 and see what you get for a code. Unplug an 02 sensor, or unplug the AC/clutch relay, perhaps. (eta) or of course you could take it somewhere and have the OBDII codes read, since they're usually a little more informative.

you mean 2-21's I hope. Just clarifying so we don't confuse him. But yeah, I'd have AutoZone or someone pull the OBDII codes to verify the Flash codes and maybe narrow it down a little further. Chris

Back