• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home Brewed Snorkels?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
I have been toying with the idea ever since getting my 75 DJ5 jeep and now really want to try on my 96 XJ.

I have seen a few cars in the junk yard which come stock with a enclosed air tight cone filter air box. Second generation DSM's (Eclipses & Eagle Talons) and they're only $12. I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted a custom snorkel with one of these air boxes and mandrel bent stainless pipe?

I found the snorkel tips online for only $35 shipped. Anyone have any pics of custom setups or any pointers?

Thanks guys.

PS, I searched but only found how to's on installing all those $250+ kits. Im looing to spend $50 :)

By tip do you mean the ram on top? Where did you find it at?
Yeah snorkels are easy to build yourself just they look like but some times. Search and you'll find your answers

I am not familiar with Eclipses. So I tried to find a picture of the factory airbox online. The 2G airbox looks like a normal airbox - not a can. Is there a particular model that uses something different?

aircan2.jpg

While looking for information about the 2G air intake I found some information about the 1G - which looked a lot more like I thought you were describing. The 1G's airbox look more like a can but does not look air tight... but I don't know if the cans in this picture are complete - they look like they might have been modified.

aircan.jpg

Does anyone else know more about the air intake on these cars? (or another model which has an air can which might be useful enclosing cones for use with a snorkel?)

I have the airbox out of a Mitsubishi Montero and it looks very much like the Eclipse one you show. I'm putting mine in place of where the windshield washer bottle went on my '93.

I'm going to run the intake to the cowl though instead of a snorkel. It looks like it would be easy to drill a hole in the bottom of the airbox and run it right out the fender for a snorkel though on the passenger side. I was thinking 3" stainless exhaust tubing, but the cowl idea works better for me.

The airbox seals up pretty snug as there is a rubber gasket on the "hat" portion.

Yep, sorry guys. It was the 1g.

You can see that the 1g airbox WAS cut to fit a bigger K&N cone filter.

A stock filter would appear to be air tight. Sorry for the mistake. I was close though :)

I think Im gonna try this and to a write up. I pick up my XJ tom. Morn!

I've seen plastic breather pipes on some delivery trucks with cab-over design. It looks like you could easily make one of those work for a snorkel. I wonder if they'd bend with a heat gun??

Back