• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ASAP fuel pump/starting

foxwar71

NAXJA Forum User
well in my never ending fuel problems now my pump is coming on whjne i prime it and when cranking. BUT it wont start. theres no fuel pressure at the rail when i press in the valve. the lines dont look to have any kinks or anything. its been could here (laramie, WY) for a while could i have frozen a line up with some water in there?

99 XJ 4.0L Auto fuel pump is about 90 days old replacement from advance auto parts (MASTER)

Last edited:
Check for spark, the newer computers may shut off the fuel relay, if there is no signal from certain sensors. A bad CPS can cause the fuel pump relay to open during start.
It may be something fuel related, it may just be the ECU shuting off the fuel pump relay.
The fuel rail prime and the normal fuel pump relay closed and pressure at the fuel rail, are two different functions. You can have one without the other. The two-three second prime, when the key is turned to run (before start) really doesn't build much pressure. The fuel pump relay kicks in during start (and builds volumn and pressure) and also with the motor running and the key in the run position. In some models, a no reference signal from the MAP can do the same thing, causes the fuel pump relay to open.

Back