• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FOG Lights

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi;

my fog lights do not come on ;I have a 1998 Jeep; cherokee country;4.0 Litre petrol auto.

The light display on the switch does not come on.I checked bothe bulbs opf the fogs and they work.

any ideas ? which is the fuse for the fogs.

thanks
collin

i am not sure which fuse it is on a 98 but if you have an ohm meter check the switch. Also if you have a volt meter( which if you have an ohm meter I would assume it has a volt feature) check the power coming into the switch.

The Fog Lamps are power by the Fog Lamp Relay , located at the P.D.C Power Distribution Center. The Relay Should have power + from 2 different circuits. ( 1 ) Fuse # 7 at Junction Block & ( 2 ) Headlamp Switch Wire
BK/YL .Check Wire VT at Switch for Bat + when Headalmps are ON . If OK'D turn switch ON & check BL Wire for Bat + If it does not show battery voltage , replace switch....

Hope this info help.....

I've got a 99 Sport and have gone through 3 factory switches. It is most likely the switch. I read a post on here that you should search for concerning the fog light wiriring harness being crap. If you replace the switch as I've done three times, it will eventually fail until you upgrade the wiring harness to a 2000 or later XJ fog lamp wires. I haven't done this yet as there is no fog in Las Vegas and both my lenses are shattered.

I have a '98 and had the same issue with the fog lamps. They are notorious for this problem and most have crapped out long before now. The switches themselves can be hard to come by. Be wary of these switches from junkyards. The new harness from Jeep aint cheap. For what it all would cost, you can buy better lights and mount them up higher, so you don't have to worry 'bout bustin them off on a rock or stump. Then you can cut all that vertical material off from under your bumper and cut it at an angle back toward the wheel well.

What you can do is pick up the fog light add on harness, www.jeepsareus.com, in your case you will end up with a second full harnesss but it comes with new switch, relays and such. Don't bother with the light parts, you just need the harness kit. Then stick a good set of hella 450 or CIBIE's under there... A few years ago we had a guy named beezil on here, he found a source of those switches from a few marine suppliers, they were like $15, maybe our links guru Ivan might have the information..

When I last replaced the switch on my 98, I removed the indicator bulb. Both times my switch failed, it melted internally, I think from having 2 bulbs in a small space perhaps. Worth a try, only been a month or 2 though.

Word on the 'net is that those switches are a weak link (I guess we all learned that already). The good news is that in most cases, you can rebuild them... we have the technology. First thing to try is to pull the switch itself, then open her up and give her a nice cleaning...

Check the wiring......I had the same problem with my 95 Country. Turned out one of the power leads around the relays between the drivers side headlight and airbox was seperated. Soldered them back together and it worked......sounds like the same issue as you are having!

Back