• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Measuring axle widths and comparing to XJ

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
When measuring the rear axle in a Cherokee, they say it is 60"

Is that from the outside of the drums? I am looking at another axle and wanting to compare widths to see if its gonna work for me.

Yes, it WMS to WMS.....wheel mounting surface. The XJ width is 60.5".

WheelinJR said:
69 Ford F100.

You can also look into 66 age thunderbirds.

that should be a 28 spline axle... and may or may not be the good 'big bearing' housing...

might pull the shafts and count at the yard...

You're probably right but it will be plenty strong for my 33's or 35's

Now that I am looking further, it looks like in those years the trucks may have been 5 on 5.5 and not 5 on 4.5

Last edited:
WheelinJR said:
You're probably right but it will be plenty strong for my 33's or 35's

Now that I am looking further, it looks like in those years the trucks may have been 5 on 5.5 and not 5 on 4.5

A D35 is 27 spline, a D44 is 30 spline, an 8.8 is 31 spline, and the later 9" are 31 spline. I wouldn't waste any time at all on a 28 spline 9", or trust it with either 33" or 35" tires. There are too many 31 spline 9" around to mess with it.

The 28 spline F9 is stronger than a 30 spline d44, by a long shot in fact.

It isn't all about spline count people. Shaft size, ring gear size, pinion diameter... The removeable 3rd member...

Plus, you could upgrade the carrier to accept 31+ spline anyway...

I'd say, GOOD FIND!

nekocopter said:
The 28 spline F9 is stronger than a 30 spline d44, by a long shot in fact.

It isn't all about spline count people. Shaft size, ring gear size, pinion diameter... The removeable 3rd member...

Plus, you could upgrade the carrier to accept 31+ spline anyway...

I'd say, GOOD FIND!

Ahhh........yes it is about spline count, when the weak link is the axle shaft itself and not the ring and pinion. Folks are virtually never breaking D44 or 8.8 or 9" gears, they're breaking axle shafts. And if you're comparing the overall attributes of the 9", in the 4x4 world the 9" has a very low pinion which is a disadvantage outweighing some of it's advantages.

Yes, you can upgrade to 31 spline. But, if you're going to buy a new carrier/locker and new axle shafts, and bearings etc, you might as well buy a 9" housing from Currie the width that you want, they're pretty cheap.

Yeah, get D-44, and then enjoy shearing off the F$#%ing pinion right behind the yoke!! Done 4 like this, and have yet to snap a 9" axle, and that being the 28 spline type. If you are looking for the narrow 9" axles, try looking at (good luck) the early broncos. They came with 9" rears that are the right width, VERY commonly geared at 4.10, some with limited slips. You could also find the D-44 up front on the 71 1/2 and later models. Down side is, try finding one. This is what is going under one of my MJs' later this week, along with the 302 and NP435/D20 from the EB.

Back