• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Tire Carrier HELP!!!

mumpy42

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I have this oem tire car carrier. I was wondering if anyone would know if it would go on my 98' xj. If so, how? And if not, what year will it fit so I know what to tell people when I sell it. Thanks.
dfa2_1.JPG

Assuming you have all parts including the bracing and rubber bumper on the swing itself, installation goes something like this.
Remove right hand bumper guard and bumper end cap. Line up the bolts on the bottom part of the carrier. You'll use the top hole (on the face of the bumper) and the bottom hole (underneath bumper) to install the carrier. If you have the reinforcing piece that goes inside the bumper you just line it all ( you may have to drill some holes) up and bolt it in.

As I remember I had to alter the end cap a bit to make it look clean, a little cutting with a Dremel worked well.

The striker plate bolts to the space where your license plate goes. So, you have to remove the interior panel of the lift gate disconnect the license plate light. I don't remember all the different sizes of bolts. Make sure that the carrier and the striker line up before you commit to drilling any holes. On my 90 the lift gate skin is fiberglass so drilling was easy but you'll want some large fender washers to strengthen it up. I also put some silicone under and around the striker to keep water out.

There are also some different ways to relocate your license plate put I just put mine ON the carrier in the lower right corner, still works good.

Back