• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft ?

I'm running 6" with no problems. JIM.

ILLXJ said:
I'm running 6" with no problems. JIM.
x2, 6ish and mine is working out fine

friend of mine has 6.5" a ford 8.8 with the pinion angle perfect and it is extended as far as it can go.

XJRunner said:
I was told that If I run a front driveshaft in the rear it would break as its not strong enough?

carry a spare and a 5/16ths wrench, if either your front or rear driveshaft breaks you will be back on the trail in no time.

I would also like to run a FDS in the rear. But if I understand correctly it depend on trans case your running, wether or not it will work...correct?

You want one from a auto tranny equipped xj 87-96's a safe bet....
It also depends on what rear axle you have.d-35's yoke sticks out about 1/2" less than a d-44 or 8.25

In my situation with a re 5.5" lift,5speed tranny,and d-35 rear,the front ds from an auto xj was about 2" too short for me...had to have it lengthened at a driveline shop.

btw its the auto tranny itself thats longer compared to a 5speed not the t-case....

Last edited:
so, looking at buying this sye kit

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=37_42&products_id=153

I have a 1990 2dr sport with the 4.0 nonHO and I believe to be the AW4 mated with an NP231. What else would I need to run a front shaft in the rear? or would a front shaft be too short for my needs? I'm currently on 3-4" of lift but looking to get up as high as 7.5" in the near future (just haven't decided what I'm doing for lift in the rear).

outlander said:
You want one from a auto tranny equipped xj 87-96's a safe bet....
It also depends on what rear axle you have.d-35's yoke sticks out about 1/2" less than a d-44 or 8.25

In my situation with a re 5.5" lift,5speed tranny,and d-35 rear,the front ds from an auto xj was about 2" too short for me...had to have it lengthened at a driveline shop.

btw its the auto tranny itself thats longer compared to a 5speed not the t-case....

How much did it run you to get it lengthened? Thanks for the info on the trany and tc I wasnt sure what was short, I just knew that sometimes it dosent work out and like yourself, some had to get it lenghened. Im going to be doing the same thing is my guess. Im running a 93 with a 5 spd and Ill be up at 4.5" with my RE6130. thanks tim

From all I have seen and tried.... If you have a manual trans xj a front shaft is at least 2in too short to run safely, it cost me around 90.00 to have it lengthened. I pulled a front shaft from a 94 and it bolted right up to my 96 with a PORC SYE.
The auto trans is longer and you can bolt up a front shaft, but from most of the ones I have seen and posts here and at Jeepforum the shaft is extended pretty far with alot of slip joint showing, you can run it that way but check your droop.
I changed to a tom woods shaft, which i should have done in the first place, there is a pretty good difference in quality, strength, and the tube diameter of the shaft too. I just keep the stock piece as a spare now.

MrShaft696 said:
From all I have seen and tried.... If you have a manual trans xj a front shaft is at least 2in too short to run safely, it cost me around 90.00 to have it lengthened. I pulled a front shaft from a 94 and it bolted right up to my 96 with a PORC SYE.

I'm running a 5spd, have an 8.8 waiting to go in, and bought the PORC SYE. Will the front shaft still be too short for me? I'm running 3.5" of lift.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I'm running a 5spd, have an 8.8 waiting to go in, and bought the PORC SYE. Will the front shaft still be too short for me? I'm running 3.5" of lift.

not sure, I am sure someone knows how much longer or shorter the yoke on the 8.8 is. I would probably count on modifying something.

Back