PDA

View Full Version : Front driveshaft ?

Only In A Jeep XJ
March 2nd, 2007, 02:50
How much lift is too much when running a front drive shaft in the rear.

ILLXJ
March 2nd, 2007, 02:52
I'm running 6" with no problems. JIM.

Ramsey
March 2nd, 2007, 03:05
I'm running 6" with no problems. JIM.
x2, 6ish and mine is working out fine

ktm racer 419
March 2nd, 2007, 09:28
friend of mine has 6.5" a ford 8.8 with the pinion angle perfect and it is extended as far as it can go.

XJRunner
March 2nd, 2007, 09:31
I was told that If I run a front driveshaft in the rear it would break as its not strong enough?

gorilla_skater
March 2nd, 2007, 10:25
I'm using a front driveshaft in the rear with about 6" of lift, but it is fully extended at rest. Is that OK to run that way? We checked it at full droop and it compressed.

ktm racer 419
March 2nd, 2007, 10:34
I was told that If I run a front driveshaft in the rear it would break as its not strong enough?

carry a spare and a 5/16ths wrench, if either your front or rear driveshaft breaks you will be back on the trail in no time.

435Mj
March 2nd, 2007, 13:06
I would also like to run a FDS in the rear. But if I understand correctly it depend on trans case your running, wether or not it will work...correct?

The Federation
March 2nd, 2007, 17:42
any paticular year front ds?

outlander
March 2nd, 2007, 21:25
You want one from a auto tranny equipped xj 87-96's a safe bet....
It also depends on what rear axle you have.d-35's yoke sticks out about 1/2" less than a d-44 or 8.25

In my situation with a re 5.5" lift,5speed tranny,and d-35 rear,the front ds from an auto xj was about 2" too short for me...had to have it lengthened at a driveline shop.

btw its the auto tranny itself thats longer compared to a 5speed not the t-case....

bcsavage
March 4th, 2007, 23:55
so, looking at buying this sye kit

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?cPath=37_42&products_id=153

I have a 1990 2dr sport with the 4.0 nonHO and I believe to be the AW4 mated with an NP231. What else would I need to run a front shaft in the rear? or would a front shaft be too short for my needs? I'm currently on 3-4" of lift but looking to get up as high as 7.5" in the near future (just haven't decided what I'm doing for lift in the rear).

435Mj
March 5th, 2007, 05:50
You want one from a auto tranny equipped xj 87-96's a safe bet....
It also depends on what rear axle you have.d-35's yoke sticks out about 1/2" less than a d-44 or 8.25

In my situation with a re 5.5" lift,5speed tranny,and d-35 rear,the front ds from an auto xj was about 2" too short for me...had to have it lengthened at a driveline shop.

btw its the auto tranny itself thats longer compared to a 5speed not the t-case....

How much did it run you to get it lengthened? Thanks for the info on the trany and tc I wasnt sure what was short, I just knew that sometimes it dosent work out and like yourself, some had to get it lenghened. Im going to be doing the same thing is my guess. Im running a 93 with a 5 spd and Ill be up at 4.5" with my RE6130. thanks tim

outlander
March 5th, 2007, 11:48
It was $80.00 to have it lenghtened.....:cheers:

MrShaft696
March 5th, 2007, 12:03
From all I have seen and tried.... If you have a manual trans xj a front shaft is at least 2in too short to run safely, it cost me around 90.00 to have it lengthened. I pulled a front shaft from a 94 and it bolted right up to my 96 with a PORC SYE.
The auto trans is longer and you can bolt up a front shaft, but from most of the ones I have seen and posts here and at Jeepforum the shaft is extended pretty far with alot of slip joint showing, you can run it that way but check your droop.
I changed to a tom woods shaft, which i should have done in the first place, there is a pretty good difference in quality, strength, and the tube diameter of the shaft too. I just keep the stock piece as a spare now.

IntrepidXJ
March 5th, 2007, 12:25

i would disagree. i put one in when i busted my tom wood's DS and have been running it for the last year (and not easy, either). It has held up fine so far

IslanderOffRoad
March 5th, 2007, 19:29
From all I have seen and tried.... If you have a manual trans xj a front shaft is at least 2in too short to run safely, it cost me around 90.00 to have it lengthened. I pulled a front shaft from a 94 and it bolted right up to my 96 with a PORC SYE.

I'm running a 5spd, have an 8.8 waiting to go in, and bought the PORC SYE. Will the front shaft still be too short for me? I'm running 3.5" of lift.

MrShaft696
March 6th, 2007, 04:55
I'm running a 5spd, have an 8.8 waiting to go in, and bought the PORC SYE. Will the front shaft still be too short for me? I'm running 3.5" of lift.

not sure, I am sure someone knows how much longer or shorter the yoke on the 8.8 is. I would probably count on modifying something.