• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POWER HUNGRY

jcwxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1986 cherokee wiyh the 2.8 V6, I have heard alot of good and some bad about this motor. Iam wondering what can be done if anything to improve this motor without dumpng thousands into it. The jeep is going to be on the road for the first time in roughly for years,is ther anything to check that I might have missed.I checked fluids brakes belts filters. Could really use the help.
Jcwxj

Do a tune-up, and clean the engine thoroly. Five gets you ten you're going to have oil leaks, and you'll probably see them at the valve covers (the 2.8L was notorious for oil leaks at the rear of the valve covers. There are three surfaces that come together under the VC - the valve cover itself, the cylinder head, and the intake manifold. The point where the three come together is where it usually starts leaking.)

As far as power mods, the idea of swapping in a RWD/4WD (F-body or S-10) 3.1 or 3.4L V6 is a good one - since both of those engines didn't have the leaking issues of the 2.8 (although they are otherwise externally identical.) You can also look for a "Service Replacement" block in FWD donors, which may be identified by duplicating the starter mount on the rear of the engine block (as the engine is mounted in the vehicle) or by seeing TWO starter mount pads, one on either side of the engine block.

It may also be worth looking in to a Small Block Chevvy swap - I know that Advance Adapters makes a SBC mounting kit for the XJ, but I don't recall whether it is compatible with the early models or not. Google "Advance Adapters" and see - I think the URL is www.advanceadapters.com, but I might be wrong.

It is possible to build the 2.8 into a potentially useful engine, but it's also cost prohibitive, and you'd be better off to start with a more useful base (like the 3.1 or 3.4.) A good source for tips and tricks is, as I recall, www.60degreev6.com (I may have that URL wrong as well - all my rigs are inlines...)

5-90

Here is a tip, do a SBC or Ford Block if you are gonna do a V8, but do not do an AMC V8 if you are not ready to do some serious drivetrain mods.

IcedXJ said:
Here is a tip, do a SBC or Ford Block if you are gonna do a V8, but do not do an AMC V8 if you are not ready to do some serious drivetrain mods.

Um, didn't I suggest something like that? I just bring up the Chevy for two reasons -
1) Easier to find parts for Chevvy, making it more tolerant of swaps and projects
2) I don't trust a Ford I didn't build. The only engine they have worth a damn, IMO, are the 289V8 and 300I6. No-thing else is fit for the scrap pile, I think...

:loveu:

5-90

5-90 said:
Um, didn't I suggest something like that? I just bring up the Chevy for two reasons -
1) Easier to find parts for Chevvy, making it more tolerant of swaps and projects
2) I don't trust a Ford I didn't build. The only engine they have worth a damn, IMO, are the 289V8 and 300I6. No-thing else is fit for the scrap pile, I think...

:loveu:

5-90

Well I just reinforced what ya said...It was on the topic of the V8s when ya brought it up...sheesh, lol...go get a beer and relax, :roflmao:

i had the 2.8 in my 2 dr and it was a beast it pulled hard but the 4.0 was a higher rev motor
the 2.8 was a more reliable motor in my opinion it was easier to find parts for (s-10's or 80's cars)

i was told to swap up my motor but i liked it when i had the V6 if your a chevy guy keep it if your a amc or ford guy swap in a V8

TheBlueSub said:
i had the 2.8 in my 2 dr and it was a beast it pulled hard but the 4.0 was a higher rev motor
the 2.8 was a more reliable motor in my opinion it was easier to find parts for (s-10's or 80's cars)

i was told to swap up my motor but i liked it when i had the V6 if your a chevy guy keep it if your a amc or ford guy swap in a V8

I would say the 4.0L at least the Renix blocks are amazingly reliable. There are continually blocks makin it past 400K miles with no rebuilds, just minor parts. There are a multitude of parts available for the 4.0L....

i agree the 4.0 is a better dd/ off road motor

the 2.8 is just a weekend warrior motor

but the 4.0 has more upgrades/but aint as throaty as the 2.8

(check LMC catalogs for a blazer/s10 catalog they have some 2.8 upgardes)

the 4.0 saves GAS

TheBlueSub said:
i agree the 4.0 is a better dd/ off road motor

the 2.8 is just a weekend warrior motor

but the 4.0 has more upgrades/but aint as throaty as the 2.8

(check LMC catalogs for a blazer/s10 catalog they have some 2.8 upgardes)

the 4.0 saves GAS

I still stand by the 4.0 is a better overall engine.

IcedXJ said:
Well I just reinforced what ya said...It was on the topic of the V8s when ya brought it up...sheesh, lol...go get a beer and relax, :roflmao:

Now, now - play nice.

I'd take your advice, but I just can't stand beer. It's an "acquired taste" that I've no interest in acquiring. I tend to prefer enhancing my BAC with rum instead... Do I still have any booze around here? :confused1

5-90

I've heard too much bad about the v6.I don't have any first hand experience with it but I believe what is said on this forum.If it was me I would run the piss out of it then when it blows drop in a 4.0 if you like the thing enough to put that much time into it.

Besides,xj's are getting dirt cheap these days so why polish a turd???

jcwxj said:
I have a 1986 cherokee wiyh the 2.8 V6, I have heard alot of good and some bad about this motor. I am wondering what can be done if anything to improve this motor without dumpng thousands into it. The jeep is going to be on the road for the first time in roughly for years,is ther anything to check that I might have missed.I checked fluids brakes belts filters. Could really use the help.
Jcwxj

Though there are a lot of 60deg engine mods out there, there really isn't alot which can pick it up a hole lot for cheap, and still have a nice running vehicle.

As suggested, a good tune up is a generally good idea. Plugs, Cap, Rotor, Clean carburator (on vehicle), PCV valve, and perhaps a new fuel filter (at inlet of carburator).

A better flowing exhaust has a minimal effect. Best bang for the buck I found was gears.
The 2.8L seems to make the most power between 2.8K and 4.5K. Unfortunately, there went the good fuel efficiency. I was running 4.56s with 31's and it really made a huge difference in available power.

If you are stuck on the 60deg V6 idea and want to spend some money on the 2.8L that would transfer to another 60deg motor, get a FI unit from a 60deg V6 from the junk yard. You will need a electric fuel pump, manifold, TBI, harness, computer and some knowledge. It may not affect the on-road power much, but it will get rid of the stumble the Rochester has when the secondary opens. Also will get rid of the off-camber/sudden stop flooding issue.

IMO, the 2.8L was a nice motor, but as something you want to blow a lot of money on, it's probably not the best platform. Still, it's a hobby :D

That's the same engine that was in S-10's right? Does it have a carb??

I had an 85 S-10 Blazer 4x4 for my first vehicle. That damn thing was in the shop more than it was on the road. Several (3 or 4...) mechanics tried to rebuild the carb, with no success, I finally decided to upgrade!

I put a Holly carb and an eddelbrock intake on it. It already had a 2.5 inch flowmaster exhaust. It ran GREAT after that. I was planning on doing the 3.4 upgrade. The 2.8 and 3.4 used the same water pump, intake manifold, and starter. Unfortunately, someone pulled out right in front of me 3 weeks after I finished installing the carb and intake.

Next vehicle was the jeep with a 4.0. The 4.0 is MUCH more powerful. That 2.8 I had was a dog. Even with the new intake and carb re jetted to run smooth it didn't put out much power.

If you decide to upgrade to 3.4 replace that carb. Apparently they are hard to rebuild and also hard to find rebuilt.

Peace

5-90 said:
Now, now - play nice.

I'd take your advice, but I just can't stand beer. It's an "acquired taste" that I've no interest in acquiring. I tend to prefer enhancing my BAC with rum instead... Do I still have any booze around here? :confused1

5-90

LOL I like some beers but I prefer a crown and coke.

Back