• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Slip Yoke Eliminator

AKswampheep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i just picked up my newly acquired 98 Cherokee classic.

Has the np231, and the 8.25, and im not familiar with doing sye's on them.

Ive searched and cant really find much, but i have the RE seal housing, yoke, and driveshaft from my 1990 cherokee with a 242 and D35.

What all can i use with the 231 that i have leftover from the 242, and does anyone have any pictures of the 231 with a SYE?

You dont need the seal housing but you can use the flange, and the DS should work also. You will need a tap and matching bolt that fits through the center hole in the flange.

So if i remember correctly.. hmm this is hard for me as my last 231 was about 2 years ago, and i have looked breifly at this one. My output yoke has a stub on it about 3 inches long for the seal, so does the output shaft of the transfer case, which is still splined, protrude out of the stock seal housing? So all i would have to do is cut the output shaft and tap it?

AKswampheep said:
So if i remember correctly.. hmm this is hard for me as my last 231 was about 2 years ago, and i have looked breifly at this one. My output yoke has a stub on it about 3 inches long for the seal, so does the output shaft of the transfer case, which is still splined, protrude out of the stock seal housing? So all i would have to do is cut the output shaft and tap it?

Yep. You dont have to mess with the seal at all on 96-01. The t-case output shaft just sticks out of the seal, you just cut it off and tap it.

Back