• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 disco shaft to solid shaft conversion

MrMom

NAXJA Forum User
How and what all needs to be done or changed out bearings seals etc?
can you just pull your 2 part shafts and install a long one in its place and seal up the disco cover? or does the bearing on that side need to be changed along with the tube seal.
Thanks

You need to cover the disco housing, install the 1 peice shaft, and seal the housing. If you search for a guy name Chuckd he has posted the napa part # for a seal that will fit. I'm getting ready to do this myself.

my concern is the axle bearing is it in the same location in the housing
reguardless of what shaft you use?
also the axle tube seal does it need to be moved as well?

As far as I'm aware, the bearing is right at the carrier. The other bearing is in the unitbearing/hub. Yukon says you need to change the unitbearing to the new style but I'm running a 96 knuckle and bearing with the old '89 disco shafts with no problems. You can leave the seals in the tube that the disco uses, but you must seal it at the housing because the diameter of the two shafts are different. There are kits out there by warn and yukon for the seals as well.
Stu has a good writeup http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd30convert/yjconvert-1.htm

The disco axle housing does not have a seal on the outer end of the housing that seals the one piece axle, like the non-diso housing has. So you have to do some work to get a seal in there and use the napa part # as mentioned above, in order to seal up the shaft. The axle bearing is a hub unit bearing on both, and they are the same on disco & non-disco.

You will NEED TO remove the bearing that is inboard the act. box in the axle tube! Then block off the act box with either a plate or a kit that is made for this. Then install a seal in the diff housing that is found in that posting obove I think, I didnt look though, but I did find it posted here in NAXJA, then get a one piece style shaft and slide it in.

because the difference in the ID of the bearing and the OD of the shaft is somewhere around .05 if I could guess. I did the conversion without removing it and it sounded like a bad front hub bearing. It was at times turning inside the bearing and yet grinding just a bit, then at times it was trying to turn the bearing, but as the knuckle turns the shaft very slightly moves in and out of the tube and doesnt stay perfectly centered in the tube. SO it was just a hit and miss on WTF was making the sounds and the odd grinding feeling in the steering wheel, untill I removed it.

And I have a better question for you... Why not??

Back