• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another NP 242 question

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I've order my full traction 6.5 LA kit and after reading a few threads I'm worried a SYE and CV drive shaft won't be enough to stop vibrations in my NP 242. So would it be smarter to swap in a NP 231?

Why are you worried that an SYE and CV shaft will not stop the vibrations?

That's why we all run SYE's and CV shafts.

The 242 is an excellent case, it's plenty strong, and has the option to be ran as an AWD unit...

The SYE options are fairly limited, but if done right, can be very strong..

The 242 is physically larger than the 231, but not by a whole hell of a lot... I wouldn't worry about vibrations... Shim your axle correctly, and install the SYE and CV shaft, and you'll have no vibrations.

On a couple of other forums guys have installed all that stuff, but were still unable to get the vibrations out and ended up spending alot of extra money getting it right. One guy on a local forum has resorted to pulling his front drive shaft everytime he drives to a trail. I don't have much knowlegde in this area I'm just going off advice from some local Jeep guys.

Ok, I'm new to these awesome machine's too. Mine is a '92 limited. I-6, AW4, NP 242j, DANA 30 HP FRT, CHRYS 8 1/4 RR w/ 3.55's. I've already installed a 3.5" PRO-COMP kit (full leaf pack) and 31's I have no vibrations. I want to go another 2" with coil spacers and shackles, so I can run 33's. Gear change will likely follow soon afterwards. I'm aware I'll need an RE 1801 S.Y.E. kit. and drive shaft mods, YJ brake line's ETC. I'm concerned about the castor problems I have been reading about here. I'm fairly mechanically inclined.( I did the lift kit myself with a friends help on a weekend) And as such I'm not to worried about doing any of these changes. Any help that will shortcut some of the problems associated with this next step would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Back