• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0455 - large evap leak - ok to drive?

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
I got my '99 CEL checked at Autozone. It was P0455 - a large evap leak. The gas cap was on good and I haven't filled up in a few days, so I checked the evap lines over and don't see anything rotted or cracked. I guess I'll have to get it smoke tested. Can this wait a few days until I'm back in town and can talk to my local mechanic? Is there any harm in running with a large evap leak?

I wouldn't pay for that smoke test until I looked at each of those stupid rubber hoses. I'd bet a sixxer of good micro brew that one of them is dry rotted. Probably all are getting to that point. Pay particular attention to the smaller ones that connect the hard lines together. They run along the drivers frame rail and up the firewall and then go over to the passengers side area of the engine bay.

You should be fine to drive it though but I'd get it done ASAP. We drove the 01 on and off for about a week before I found the first cracked hose. I've had that code 3x now.

I tried to document as much as I could when I dealt with this. Someone seems to have the same problem pretty regularly.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60877&highlight=evap+leak

riverfever said:
I tried to document as much as I could when I dealt with this. Someone seems to have the same problem pretty regularly.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60877&highlight=evap+leak

I did search and read your post, thanks for all the info. By the time I get home, it's dark and cold. I looked tonight, but don't see (or feel) any cracks or dry rot. I've checked all the usual spots that you and a few others have found problems, but everything looks good. I don't smell gas anywhere either.

Ya know...I NEVER smelled gas. I've had codes for both large and small leaks. Look real closely Dave. I was about to go get a smoke test done and looked one more time and I couldn't believe I hadn't found it the other 3 or 4 times I looked. I finally got pissed and replaced everything that was rubber in that system (pretty much). On ours, the harder lines are the same material as a vaccum line is but they all looked good. Hope you find that sucker. I know how frustrating that can be.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll have one more look over the weekend when I can see things in the daylight. Maybe I'll see something I missed. Are these lines under any real pressure? If I dripped water on the rubber elbows and connection points, do you think it would blow bubbles - like finding a slow leak in a tire?

I don't think they are. I sprayed starter fluid on them and Windex (I was thinking the same thing too). In the end, I used a small extension mirror and flashlight so I could really get a good look at all sides of the rubber hose.

Back