• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:56s with 35s???

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody..i know this questions get asked far too many times, but i was seeing if yall though 4:56s would do good with 35s. right now i have 3:55s, and it really doesn't seem that bad 95 percent of the time..but im probably just numb to it. i have a locker up front, and chry. 8.25 rear, and will be putting a lockrite in it within a month or 2. should i stick with what ive got, and not break anything. or go 4:56??:peace:

Your either joking or have never wheeled your rig,I pitty your trans or clutch!Id be looking for 4,88's minimum but since you have a 8.25(and it better be a 29 spline) your stuck with 4.56's.

wishihad1 said:
hey everybody..i know this questions get asked far too many times, but i was seeing if yall though 4:56s would do good with 35s. right now i have 3:55s, and it really doesn't seem that bad 95 percent of the time..but im probably just numb to it. i have a locker up front, and chry. 8.25 rear, and will be putting a lockrite in it within a month or 2. should i stick with what ive got, and not break anything. or go 4:56??:peace:

What???? I have 3.55s with 32's and it SUCKS, I can't imagine 35's. Definetly go with the 4.56's, that's what I am doin'.

I ran 4.56's and 35's with both my 2.5L and later with my 4.7L stroker. They worked for me. I had a stick in both. I am now running an auto since I got tired of breaking axles with the stroker. If you run the numbers, 4.56's and 35's work out to close to stock gearing

Get a trans temp gauge from B&M or Autometer. I bet your temps are insane right now at highway speeds. Then get a cheap cooler. With 4.56s, you will regain a lot of the stock-feel. Unfortunately, 4.56s still aren't optimal for a true 35" tire, especially with heavy Bias tires like Boggers or iroks. I have had 3.55s, 4.10s, 4.56s, and now have 5.38s and I love deep gearing. It just makes for a lot more fun.

2001XJ said:
What???? I have 3.55s with 32's and it SUCKS,
What???? No they don't I have stock 3.55's with 32's and they are pretty fine. I still have a good amount of power, (I have beaten my friends older porsche off the line for a good distance, with friends to prove this).

One of my friends TJ with 36's and 4.56s just regeared to 4.88's. He ran fine with the 4.56, but now that he has the 4.88's, he loves them, and won't go back to 4.56's.

You would be in first gear going 20 mph over most of the passes in Colorado.

I doubt very much you could even run an easy trail here with 3.07's and 35, and still have a clutch left.

Fred

begster said:
What???? No they don't I have stock 3.55's with 32's and they are pretty fine. I still have a good amount of power, (I have beaten my friends older porsche off the line for a good distance, with friends to prove this).

One of my friends TJ with 36's and 4.56s just regeared to 4.88's. He ran fine with the 4.56, but now that he has the 4.88's, he loves them, and won't go back to 4.56's.

Well, it must be a HUGE difference in opinion then because the only "decent" power I can get (and it's minimal at best) is constantly driving in 3rd gear, forget about overdrive with my 3.55's and 32's....and the older porsche must be a dog or have a weak 4-cyclinder becasue there is no way I can beat anybody of any line with that gearing and my engine is fairly low in mileage and has a good amount of power left in it since it is a 2001

how many cylinders werent firing on that porche? not saying your a liar, but it's just hard to beleive. Mustve had a sheety reaction.

anyway i have no idea how you guys can say 35's are fine on stock gears. I ran it like that once, and hated every second of it. Maybe if all your into is slingin' mud your fine, but throw a couple rocks in there and you will hate it. as well as your transmission.

It's just a matter of not knowing what they're missing, like never drinking good wine, or having a glass of good scotch.

Sure, you can drive around, it'll move down the road. But, the happiest day of your XJ life will be when you finally do a gear change.

someone want to educate me as to what gears are in my cherokee. Searching these forums can be a bit of a frustration at the best of times

1990 Xj 2Dr Sport Auto.

thanks.

wishihad1 said:

Well, if you know that the question has been asked so many times, then why are you asking? The answer is out there and the answer is that 3.55's suck with 35's and can lead to problems for you down the road. Go to 4.56's until you ditch the 8.25 and then go to 4.88's at least.

bcsavage said:
someone want to educate me as to what gears are in my cherokee. Searching these forums can be a bit of a frustration at the best of times

1990 Xj 2Dr Sport Auto.

thanks.

with a 4.0L? 3.55's.

Back