• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB questions

ktilcu

NAXJA Forum User
I just put my new cb and 102" whip on my truck and for some reason it only picks uo and transmits about a 100 yards. Any ideas? I know it's grounded but what's this about a ground plane? I'm gonna research but there's alot of guys that have their antennas mounted on the bumper and i would guess their radios work better than mine. Thanks!

The size of the antenna is secondary to the power output of the CB when it some to performance. Is yours a hand-held model? I had a pair of hand-helds and they were worthless. Sometimes I couldn't even talk to the Jeep in front of me on the trail. Bought a cheapie car unit and now I can pick up truckers 20 miles away waitin' in line at the Ambassador Bridge. :D

You'll have to be a lot more specific. What radio exactly, and has it been set up (peaked and tuned/aligned) by a reputable shop? Radios do not come ready to run out of the box, they have to be set up properly. Also, how do you know your antenna has a good ground? Where and how is it mounted? Are you using a correct length coax and is it good coax? Cheapo blister pack coax is generally worthless. A good 18-footer made at a good CB shop is what you want, in most cases. Did you set the SWR? Distance is mostly a function of coax and antenna length (SWR) if everything else is right.

Pete M said:
The size of the antenna is secondary to the power output of the CB when it some to performance. Is yours a hand-held model? I had a pair of hand-helds and they were worthless. Sometimes I couldn't even talk to the Jeep in front of me on the trail. Bought a cheapie car unit and now I can pick up truckers 20 miles away waitin' in line at the Ambassador Bridge. :D
almost but..... no!
the power output is secondary! the antenna is the most important part of the system.if you have a very powerful radio and a bad antenna match you wont talk very well but if you have a good antenna system any radio will perform well.

hand held radios will work very good if you run an adaptor from the hand held to a external antenna ,this will increase talking distance greatly.

if you are not talking any more than a 1000 yards then the problem lies in the antenna system. the 102 whip is a great antenna.i think you have a dead short in the system ,more than likely you did not install the teflon insulator washer that goes under the whip. the insulator separates the positive from negative.

It's the Radio Shack Unit TRC-503 CB radio. I checked the groud with my volt meter. It hasn't been tuned and the antenna doesn't have a way to shorten it. The coax cable is ten feet and it was bought at the store as well. I'm not sure of the swr. I don't know any one with a meter. Better find a shop, huh? It's mounted on my rear bumper. I think that was all the questions...

Go to www.firestik.com and read the Tech Help section about antenna installation, ground plane, and SWR. You may need to run an extra wire from the antenna mount to the body of the XJ.

If you aren't receiving, then there is a problem in the antenna system. The problem with transmitting is definitely a problem with the antenna system. Run a ground strap from the antenna mount to the body of the XJ. Also, verify that you are not shorting the antenna out. Take your meter on a continuity setting and check between the antenna and the bumper. there should be no connection there.

I have the 102" whip mounted to the rear fender and have almost a 1:1 swr reading. You can go back to RS and pickup their SWR/Power meter.

Last edited:
wasn't doing either but i knew it was grounded so when cocoloco pointed out the teflon washer i looked around on the ground and found mine! As soon as i put it on i could here people about three miles away. I'm sure when i get it tuned it will be better!

Back