• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2008 NAXJA Give Away Jeep: SoCal Contribution

cracker

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone!

Some of you may remember that at our 2006 Christmas party we announced SoCal's contribution of a rear axle for the 2008 NAXJA Give Away Jeep. We had a raffle at that same Christmas party and came up with $348 for it as well!!!

We decided to do a rear Dana 60 for the project since the MWC is going to donate the front high pinion Dana 44.

Well, this is where the money went:
FileHandler.ashx

FileHandler.ashx

FileHandler.ashx

The axle has been shortened (it'll have a WMS to WMS measurement of 60.5" ), Torino ends have been welded on, and the housing has been straightened.

Troy (Mr.Overkill) has kindly offered to shave the housing to improve on ground clearance. Clearance should be CLOSE to a Dana 44!

Alloy USA has been EXTREMELY kind and has donated 35 spline 4130 axle shafts for this SoCal build. (Bearings are coming too)
FileHandler.ashx

FileHandler.ashx

Also we have a pair of Rubicon Express ANTIWRAP leaf pads which I purchased for $20 from a buddy
FileHandler.ashx

COSTS:
So far have totaled up to $400.

I spent $380 for the axle housing and torino ends and all the labor done to it (straightening and welding work) and I spent $20 on the perches.

The difference between the raffle money earned and total expenses paid out is a donation by me for the cause. ;)

WHAT IS LEFT TO ACQUIRE / DO

We need:
  • 4.88 or 5.13 ring and pinion
  • Rear locker
  • Ford Explorer 8.8 backing plate/caliper brackets/calipers
  • Ford Explorer rear brake rotors (drilled to 5 x 5.5" )
  • Diff Cover
  • Shock Mounts (I may make some low profile ones for this)
  • Ring and Pinion master install kit
  • Misc odds and ends (brake lines, etc)
We are looking for vendors/individuals to donate the stuff above. I am also planning on having some more raffles here and there to acquire the $$$ for some of the parts we may have to purchase if they are not donated (any excess $$$ will be given to the SoCal chapters bank account).

Of course the ring and pinion need to be professionally installed but I should be able to assemble the rest of the axle including all the brake lines and what not.

Last edited:
Represent!

BTW is NAXJA considered a tax-deductible, not-for-profit organization?

I got 25" braided steel brake lines from a local aircraft place for about $8 for my samurai. I could see if i could pick some up for this....but i need to know what ends to have them put on, and how long to make them. and i'll see if i can find the brake rotors next time im in the junk yard. or do you want only new parts?

we still need that thing that i can get at work ya know avery?

not the thing for the rear but for the front ya know???

im going there today.

karstic said:
Represent!

BTW is NAXJA considered a tax-deductible, not-for-profit organization?

It's a bit of a grey area Steven. Technically, NAXJA scoots in under the Fed Code 501(c). But...

Under the Illinoins state code where NAXJA incorped, sections 805 LLCS 105/101.75 B-2 and 805 LLCS 105/103.12, you may run into problems at audit time from both CA and the Feds.

If you are in any kind of doubt, talk to a CPA.

What I've been instructed to do by my CPA is to consider this. Technically, mine will not be able to defend any significant contribution on my personal, or my corporate K-1. But, if we are talking about a few hundred dollars in a year, personal, and I'm willing to take the ding if audited, go for it. But remember, 50 cents on the dollar adds up fast, and a 3 year audit works up some penalties if denied.

Lastly, your check would have to be made out to NAXJA.

If your going to contribute, I'd recommend doing it on a personal basis for the satisfation of participating. The mileage on that level alone is a good enough motivation.

--ron

backpack96 said:
I got 25" braided steel brake lines from a local aircraft place for about $8 for my samurai. I could see if i could pick some up for this....but i need to know what ends to have them put on, and how long to make them. and i'll see if i can find the brake rotors next time im in the junk yard. or do you want only new parts?

Sounds good but I am unsure as to what ends they need to be. I am hoping to have it set up like this with the flex lines coming to the axles and then running the solid lines to the double ended brake cable.
FileHandler.ashx

If someone could chime in the details of what we need (as far as what ends and threadpitch/styles), that would be great. I used a M.O.R.E. rear line (on the right) I like the M.O.R.E. since it has a hole in the cable that I can bolt to the axle tube.

Last edited:
Captain Ron said:
It's a bit of a grey area Steven. Technically, NAXJA scoots in under the Fed Code 501(c). But...

Under the Illinoins state code where NAXJA incorped, sections 805 LLCS 105/101.75 B-2 and 805 LLCS 105/103.12, you may run into problems at audit time from both CA and the Feds.

What I've been instructed to do by my CPA is to consider this. Technically, mine will not be able to defend any significant contribution on my personal, or my corporate K-1. But, if we are talking about a few hundred dollars in a year, personal, and I'm willing to take the ding if audited, go for it. But remember, 50 cents on the dollar adds up fast, and a 3 year audit works up some penalties if denied.

If your going to contribute, I'd recommend doing it on a personal basis for the satisfation of participating. The mileage on that level alone is a good enough motivation.

--ron

I agree, just seeing if I could make it a win-win-win situation.

Great news!

The famous Ryan Brown himself has offered to do the Ring and Pinion install.

Thank you Ryan!

Captain Ron said:

--ron

I was actually going to ask this question, since my company has a "give back" program where I get money to donate to a 5013c organization of my choice.

But it has to be an actual 5013c organization because my company writes the check. I get the pleasure of delivering it, and seeing the smiling faces of the organization.

FOPV? :D

jjmat3 said:
May I, donate some Amsoil Severe Gear lube for the cause? LMK

Sure!

I had totally forgot about the gear oil :doh:

avery. I have a pair of shock mounts, Kinda like these..
attachment.php

BUT wrap about 40% of the way around a 3" tube and are about 10 times better made and nicer looking. Will have to take a pict to really show them. I forget who I bought them from. I have 2 sets actually. Went other route with mounting in the project they were bought for.

If you want them? They are a post style though and some dont like that. They can though be mounted with the post paralell to the ground and level with the top of the top, and make for a good higher mount but not to high.

ROBERTK said:
avery. I have a pair of shock mounts, Kinda like these..
attachment.php

BUT wrap about 40% of the way around a 3" tube and are about 10 times better made and nicer looking. Will have to take a pict to really show them. I forget who I bought them from. I have 2 sets actually. Went other route with mounting in the project they were bought for.

If you want them? They are a post style though and some dont like that. They can though be mounted with the post paralell to the ground and level with the top of the top, and make for a good higher mount but not to high.

Robert,

Beggers cannot be too chosey ;)

We'll take a pair of them (I'll grab them at the Sushi bar :wave: )

Thanks

Avery

cracker said:
Robert,

Beggers cannot be too chosey ;)

We'll take a pair of them (I'll grab them at the Sushi bar :wave: )

Thanks

Avery

Cool, its these actually, but seem to remember them being double layered, so these x2 in strength.
05.jpg

MORE #98201 - $32.50ea (didnt realize I have over 120$ in shock mounts on my shelf lol)..

I will bring em to sushi.

ROBERTK said:
Cool, its these actually, but seem to remember them being double layered, so these x2 in strength.
05.jpg

MORE #98201 - $32.50ea (didnt realize I have over 120$ in shock mounts on my shelf lol)..

I will bring em to sushi.

AWESOME

Thanks

I used a couple of those on my 8.8 when I first built it up

Thanks

Avery

cracker said:
Sure!

I had totally forgot about the gear oil :doh:

PLMK how much & what weight you need and where to send it. I now have a 75W-110 along w/ the 75W-140 and 75W-90 weights.

So ya know, You will want to break the gears in w/ some cheap lube before filling up w/ the Amsoil Severe Gear.

jjmat3 said:
PLMK how much & what weight you need and where to send it. I now have a 75W-110 along w/ the 75W-140 and 75W-90 weights.

Will do although 75W-90 weight comes to mind. :dunno:

jjmat3 said:
So ya know, You will want to break the gears in w/ some cheap lube before filling up w/ the Amsoil Severe Gear.

I know that but this is not the ideal situation. The axle will be built by us in SoCal and probably shipped out to Salt Lake City for assembly on the vehicle. It'll be installed and testrived a bunch of times but probably not 500 miles worth. It'll be up to the new owner to take care of that ;)

Last edited:
Thats cool. I can even just ship to the winner of the rig if that will work. Or ship to whomever is doing the final build. Whatever works best. Maybe I should just keep it here and install it myself after I win it?

put me down for the master install kit! i work at napa and have a wholesale acct at 4wheel parts so just gimme whatever specs you can and ill make the bearings happen!

GrimmJeeper said:
put me down for the master install kit! i work at napa and have a wholesale acct at 4wheel parts so just gimme whatever specs you can and ill make the bearings happen!

THANK YOU!!!

It is a LOW PINION DANA 60

That should be good. Hit me up back channel when you have it and thanks again!!!

Back