• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch cable maintenance

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I did try a search, but didn't come up with an answer. How often should steel cable be maintenanced? By maintenanced, I mean unspooled and oiled/greased, and what should be used? I do not use it very often, and I'm just not sure what if anything I should be doing. Thanks.

Shouldn't require any maintenance. The only thing that's important is to keep the cable tightly spooled on the winch, so it's a good idea to pull it out and respool it now and then. However, if you use the winch and see a couple of loose wraps afterward you should stop and respool it immediately.

Also, while using the winch, care should always be taken to not get any loose wraps. Loose wraps come from driving ahead of the winch so the cable has slack in it while it's spooling in, or from winding in the cable when it is slack (even a little bit). When the cable tightens on top of a loose wrap that is how the cable gets a kink in it, which ruins the cable. A kink in the cable is a weak spot with the potential for a break and possibly injuring someone. Any winch cable that has kinks in it should be replaced. When out on the trail, if I see a cable with kinks in it, I'll refuse to allow it's use and will get someone else's winch out. Once you have to use your winch, be sure to moderate the throttle so the cable stays tight, don't worry about showing that you can still get some traction, just relax and keep that cable tight. If you don't need the winch anymore, make sure someone grabs the line and keeps the slack out of it while you wind in the cable. Never wind in the cable when it has slack in it.

Only the military greases the cable. Everybody else just leaves them dry.

Since your in the east, if you drag your cable in the mud or submerge the winch, I'd recommend unwinding it afterward and hose the mud off. The mud is an abrasive and even if it doesn't show, can wear the cable over time and the fairlead will show the wear more quickly.

Also, by removing the mud, it lets the cable spool on smoother.

As far as lube goes, it's generally not necessary but I've found that a light coating of WD40 or silicone helped keep the corrosion down. If you have the winch on a DD, then it's a definate do.

Now, if you ever go to synthetic fiber cable, getting the mud out is even more important.

rstarch345 said:
Since your in the east, if you drag your cable in the mud or submerge the winch, I'd recommend unwinding it afterward and hose the mud off. The mud is an abrasive and even if it doesn't show, can wear the cable over time and the fairlead will show the wear more quickly.

Also, by removing the mud, it lets the cable spool on smoother.

As far as lube goes, it's generally not necessary but I've found that a light coating of WD40 or silicone helped keep the corrosion down. If you have the winch on a DD, then it's a definate do.

Now, if you ever go to synthetic fiber cable, getting the mud out is even more important.
x2. A good, light silicone spray will keep your line lubed and will let mud slide right off. I usually give my top wrap (the exposed line) a spray before I head out.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

I 've found the best way to maintain steel line is to completely unwind it, take it off the drum, and hang it on the wall. Replace it with synthetic. My steel winchline still looks like the day I got it.

But seriously, replace it with synthetic. You, your friends and your family, will be much better off if you do.

TheRedlines said:
I 've found the best way to maintain steel line is to completely unwind it, take it off the drum, and hang it on the wall. Replace it with synthetic. My steel winchline still looks like the day I got it.

But seriously, replace it with synthetic. You, your friends and your family, will be much better off if you do.

In muddy wheeling, synthetic won't hold up quite as well. Plus, if you are careful and use the right precautions, steel is fine.

Back