• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 2" Lift and 31's?

truthchild

NAXJA Forum User
Good evening everyone, I just registered about 10mins ago but have used this forum or rather referred back to many threads on working on my own xj. I am new to posting but have found this to be the best forum out there just from reading it and so i pose this question with much wonderment as to what the answer might be. I was in to a 4-wheel store looking at getting a lift and some new tires, a starter if you will just to have some fun but not break the bank. The gentleman i talk to says a RE 2" which runs about $233 http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Products.aspx?Cn=188&Pn=2022&XnPath=173,180,188&Vid=47CB13896013 can fit 31x11.50 under it. So i am like thats cool, but i look at the website and i read this at the bottom "for 30x9.50" tires". Is it possible to fit 31's under this lift with out modifying at all or is there a need to do some fender trimming, mind you also i am sitting on stock mag rims from the limited, will there be any other rubbing around the tires? I am not even sure the 31x11.5 is correct either this is just what the gentleman had said, I do however know that these are what i want to put on http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/promo/all_terrain_ta/index.jsp?source=right because it is a DD and my only vehicle at the moment. I am willing to do some trimming, thats not a problem, but i am wondering if its possible with stock rims to put on this lift and with some mods be able to fit 31's. Thanks guys, any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Drew
91xj 4.0HO
ummm...tomken bumber and connferr roof rack (bone stock but working on it :laugh: )

i am currently running the RE 2" with 31x10.50. so far the only issue is hitting the lower control arms at full lock steer. granted i still have stock rims. i am planning on ordering my cragar soft 8's this week. this should cure it. if i plan on doing much heavy wheeling i am likly going to do a bit of trimming. but with the roading i have done so far, no major issues. i am running the definity dakota m/t's from my local pep boys

I'll be the first one to tell you.............SEARCH!

Now thats out of the way:
Yes you can easily fit 31's with a BB(they will fit stock height with trim). It depends on what you will be doing with your rig whether you need to trim or not-you could just bumpstop alot and limit up flex.
On stock rims 31x10.50 will rub the lower control arms at full lock, and is annoying, but will do no harm-only limit turning radius.

Look other places because that price seems a little high. You can run stock shocks if needed and the spacers shouldn't be that much.

i recomend running 30's with a 2inch, you can flex and you can go allot of places you culn't before. wait till yopu have at least a 3" to run 31's

just my .02

I Ran 2" w/31's on the street and it was rubbing in the rear alot. Moe bump stops caused, more bumping! Swapped over my 3.5" lift and no more rubbing in the rear. Also used Rusty's bent LCA's and no more rubbing at full lock. I've had the LCA's on two diff XJ's for about 6 or 7 years with no problems. Although 2" with 235's was the best ridding XJ i've every had and still have this set up wainting to go into my kids 93 Country .

Do it right and just lift it higher. You're going to do 2" and want 3". Then you'll have 3" and want 4.5". Goto 4.5" and 33's and be done with it.
I learned the hard way cause I started with a 2" BB. I incorporated the 2" into my 3" and I'm happy sitting between 4.5 to 5".

I have a 2 inche BB and am running a 30 inch tire. I do notice rubbing occasionally when in a hard flex. That said though, I am very surprised at the places I could go on 30s with my 2 little inches. :D

Yeah i know i am gonna want to go higher, lol. I am getting the 2" to feed the hunger i have had for the past four years, its a budget lift at the moment for me, wish i could drop that much money and get the 4.5" lift and run some 32 or a 33 maybe, just want to be a bit more capable and have a more agressive tire than what i have, Wrangler ATD. In a couple of years i will then upgrade the lift to the 4.5, after saving up for it you know. Thanks for the input guys :spin1:

hey, where you at in CO? I think I still have some 2-2.25" spacers for the front you can have, then you can get a 2" block kit from pep-boys or somewhere and run your stock shocks for cheap.

Get the 31" BFG AT's you want, put 2" spacers on the front, if it rubs either bumpstop it more (hockey pucks work great in the front and are very cheap) or throw an extra spacer in the front and a longer shackle in the rear. Use shackles & add-a-leaves in the rear to get your desired height, not blocks.

Now with running the 31's and the spacers and add a leafs, am i gonna need to extend my brake lines or can i get away with stock, i know i could run the stock shocks until i am ready to upgrade even further. Thanks for all your help guys:cool:

Drew
91XJ Limited

Stock lines will work fine on the front for sure, probably the rear also for now with 2" lift.

Back