• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear camping

[email protected]

NAXJA Forum User
Ok im going to big bear this weekend to run Holcomb, maybe john bull. Most of the camp sites are closed and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place i can legally camp out? Are there any "crude" camp sites near these trails I can camp out at with an adventure pass?? Any advice would be appreciated.

I know its going to be cold, you dont have to bring it up. :)

Sorry for the double post.

Oh, it's not a double post, I was just letting you know that someone else is going to be there doing the same thing. maybe you guys can connect up??

every site in BB is reserve only pretty much. There are I think holcom creek and big pine? that save a few for first come first serve.

What I woudl sugest is, IF your only one or two people and kinda quiet, is to just head up and pull in the camp grounds adn find a Big site with a motor home in it and no tent. Then ask them if you can "borrow " some of the site if you pay for it. Worked many times for us...

along 3n14 there are yellow post camp sites that are for crude camping. Stop by the ranger station and get a list and possibly a fire permit. Its gunna be friggin cold up there! Just got a good amount of snow last night!

well even the yollow post sites are usually taken. But true they are first come first serve. But as mentioned you Must get them but First going to the ranger station.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/camping/index.shtml

Holcomb Valley Campground is first come first serve and they are open year round.

There are plenty of yellow post sites. YP5 is on 2N84 not too far from the Eastern end of 3N93 Holcomb Creek Trail.

Below is a map where it is legal to remote camp. Use an existing turnout or cleared area and no campfires are allowed.
Dispersed.jpg

Last edited:
No need to buy one of those retarded Adventure passes, its a huge scam.

Why rent what you already own?

sintax said:
No need to buy one of those retarded Adventure passes, its a huge scam.

Why rent what you already own?

Plus if you get ticketed all you have to do is buy a pass and mail in the receipt! Not like I haven't done it a few times :rolleyes:

Back