• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np242 sye question

ttocsnekia

NAXJA Forum User
Will Tom's Hack n Tap swap over to a 231? I guess I might just swap in the 242, sounds like the cool thing to do.
Scott

Anybody know the length and spline count on the 242 input shaft (87 cherokee) off the top pf their heads? Would be bolting it right up to a AX-15.

hack and tap doesn't swap IIRC, AX-15s are 23-spline output, and I think that year (87) was 21-spline.

Im trying to find that out right now actually!

Its an inch or two shorter than stock, but I have no idea what stock is. I could measure it tomorow when I get back to work.

There are several different versions of the input shafts. You will need to take the one out of the transfer case you want to use and then match up a 23 spline input for it.

There is a wide and a narrow bearing race, two styles of gear angle/pitch and different lengths.

As far as going behind an AX15 you can use a long or short shaft as there is plenty of unused space inside the trans.

Also, make sure the roller bearing inside the input shaft is the same diameter as the old one. I have seen a large and small one.

Hope this helps.

Don

Back