• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 XJ - Damp padding under carpet?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I finally got around to cleaning up the spilled 2 cycle outboard oil from the back of my '00 XJ 2 door.

I parked it on a steep incline, scrubbed the carpet w/ Simple Green and hosed it out. I made sure not to let hardly any water drip down under the back seat.

The oil didn't come out at all. So I cut the carpet under the rear seat and up the rear wheel wells and tore it out. Gonna have it Rhinolined back there. When I was finished, I noticed that padding under the carpet under the rear seat was soaked. I know that wasn't from my activities of the day as I didn't let near that much water get down there. So I pulled that out to let it dry. I then pried my hand in front of the bulkhead at the base of the rear seat and could feel that the padding under the carpet in the main portion of the cab was also damp. WTF I'm thinking!!!??!?! I can't easily pull that out to let it dry.

Now, my wife did leave both windows completely open about a month ago during a brief downpour. I can't even begin to describe how pissed I was. But based on the fact that the carpet seems to have a rubber backing, I wouldn't think that is how it got wet.

There isn't any evidence of leaks anywhere.

What do you guys think? Was the "open windows during the downpour" the cause or might it be due to condensation? Has anyone else experienced this???

In any event, looks like I need to pull the seats and console out so I can pull the rest of the carpet to let it dry.... Oh boy! :(

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Maybe I should just trade it in on a "dry" XJ.....

Brian

Pull it all out and let it dry. These things can rust the floor in short order. CHW just replaced or is in the process of replacing most of the floor in his. I have had rust in mine, as most people on the board. I wish I had gotten to it sooner when I got it wet from rain but just let it sit for several days in the sun. Bad idea.

I would think that some of it came from the downpour, but these things leak, no doubt about it. I have seam sealed and rust proofed everythingthat I can get a brush on to stop it. The door seals leak as well.

But just pull it all out and let it dry. Juice

I got all of the carpet out this afternoon. It only took me about five minutes to remove both seats. The hardest part was getting out the center console. Once I figured out to REALLY yank up on the e-brake it came out easily. So now, every bit of carpet is out. I only have one little teeny tiny spot of rust that I will sand and prime prior to doing anything else. Everything else was spotless.

Anyway, the source of the water appears to be near the firewall on the passenger side. The padding was the most wet there and had signs of mildew. Is there anyting in that area that could be the cause?

Do you guys have any idea how much it might cost to Rinoline the whole thing? Man, that would be cool!!! When it gets dirty, just hose it out!!!!

I don't get it...you were pissed with your wife for leaving the windows down but you are forgiven for spilling oil all over your carpet. Where's the logic?:rolleyes:

sbxj, it's one thing for ME to spill oil in MY XJ..which I was extremely pissed at myself for. Where did you get the impression I was not angry??

But it's another thing for my wife to leave the windows open in MY XJ and then take the attitude that it was no big deal and it will dry......

I'd like to see her reaction if I did that to her new Jetta!!!

sorry gw if I was out of line. Your right, and I don't know the whole story. Personally, I had to buy husky liners and seat covers for every square inch of my Jeep and my Wife's RAV4 because she is so careless with spilling things and leaving windows open. I used to get mad at her...now I meditate;) You were asking for help, so that's my suggestion once everything dry's out. Regards

No problem. I hope my reply didn't come off as too harsh.

Speaking again of spilling things....she spilled a milkshake on the pass door and it ran down on to the carpet. She claimed to have cleaned it up very well.. If so, I'm wondering why I had a huge patch of funky, fuzzy mold growing there.....:rolleyes: Geez, I just can't win! :D

In the process of donf this myself. There is a previous post of mine that points out a couple of alternatives to rhinolining if you are putting carpet back down. POr - 15 and Rust Bullett are a few.

This is what I used

Everything below is what I used to seal it, rust proof it and quit it down. The only other thing I used was 1/2" carpet padding cut to fit where I needed it. This is the Eastwood Company. They have a lot of great products for old cars/trucks that I have used on several GTO's and Mustangs to restore them. Check it out. Plus this is an idea other than Rhino lining which is greats very hot in the summer time. My buddy has it. Cooker. Juice
http://www.eastwoodco.com/

Eastwood Rust Encapsulator Black 1 Qt
item no: 16065 ZP
Price: $28.99

Trim Adhesive Super Aerosol 19 oz
item no: 52001 ZP
Price: $13.99

Seam Sealer Brushable Quart
item no: 31028 Z P
Price: $19.99

Rubberized Undercoating 830ml-28 oz
item no: 16008 ZP