• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Resetting Check Engine Light-94 XJ

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
I have completed the repairs on my '94 XJ and need to clear the computer of the trouble codes. How do I go about doing this? I have unhooked the battery for about 5-10 mins, but the codes are still there. Am I missing something? I did a search and I couldn't find the procedures for this. Also, my Haynes manual describes how to reset the OBDII units not mine the OBDIs, so what do I need to do? Thanks

Jeff

that should have done it, but you may need to leave the negative terminal off for more than five minutes (more like 20), and after its off, hit the brake pedal to discharge any remaining power in the system. disclaimer: this is not advice from an expert, just what I think I remember from previous posts :)

un hook the neg terminal from batt, then turn ignition to on position for a minute or two, should do the trick

If I unhook it for the overnight will that do it without turning the ignition on? I wish I had a FSM for this. Should describe the procedure to a T. I will give the above a try and see.

Jeff

But how long will that take? I just want the codes cleared so if any new ones show up, I am not dealing with the old ones just any new ones. Just driving it won't clear them, I know there is a way, someone just has to give it to me. Thanks

Jeff

if you unhook neg cable and turn ignition to on position it drains the computer backup battery, only takes a few minutes then turn off ignition hook up cable and codes should be gone. works on my 96

I only did it for about 30 seconds and that did it. Unhook the negative cable, and turn the ignition on the the on postion. In fact, I even turned it off and back to the on position again, and hooked the battery up after shutting off the ignition, and that did it, just have the 12 and 55 codes now. Thanks guys and gals.

Jeff

Back