• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front windshield replacement-tips and tricks?

Axle

NAXJA Forum User
I am wondering if it's feasible (and any how-to tips) to pull a front glass out of a donor XJ and put it into my current XJ. I have the donor but not the 210+ dollars to have another new one installed for me. Thanks, Axle

You can remove the old one with a heavy gague wire. Stick the wire through the gasket and have some help on the outside and just saw through it.

You could install it yourself, but I would recommed having a professional do it. Also, if it is the Renix, the HO gasket is supposed to fit and be a better seal.

It ain't easy as pie like a CJ. I took mine to an auto glass place, they charged me like $200 for the windshield and install.

Also, if you park underneath trees, a mess of pine needles get down in there. I was happy to let the glass tech wrestle with that instead of me.

Having watched a couple of professional installers replace the windshield on my 94 3 years ago... I'd pretty much never attempt it. They've got a couple of specialized tools (a right angle blade and a wire saw) to remove the old windshield. They had to work more than a bit to get the old windshield out, and they weren't being particularly careful to get it out in one piece. Having to take care to get a usable windshield out smells like a pretty good trick to me.

Don't forget about that new tube of windshield caulk and getting it set right on the first try.

hey axle i used to install glass, and i recommend u buy a new one. why because its very easy to crack when removing with wire, unless u have a hot knife.

I've replaced about 4 shields on XJ's. The last, I tried to remove a good shield without breaking it. Sure you can do it, but you need the rights tools, a plan and patience (all critical) :thumbup:.

The only effective way to cut the shield out (that I know of) is with a special windshield tool like this;

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-12480-471-2636-windshield-removing-tool.aspx

Using a tiny cutting wire or blade similar to a coping saw would be safer if you have two people for the job. The pressure of the cutting could be more easily controlled. You would still need a method to get the wire/blade through the rubber glue without breaking the glass.

I'll be frank, without experience, it isn't easy cutting it out without breaking it. You will need a great deal of patience, care and time. An experienced installer could pull it in about 5 to 10 minutes. I would plan a few hours as the smallest mistake with the cutter and you will crack the glass.

I got within the last 3 inches of getting my glass out and got just a touch too impatience. So much for that glass :(.

Getting it out is hard and you have to make sure that it seals completley. I had one done in my LTD and they guys got grease and crap all over the egde of the windshield, then when it cot cold moisture got inbetween the shield and elCracko!!! No new windshield

Harbor Freight has that same tool.

There are two different types of adhesive used on windshields. Butyl and polyurethane. The butyl is easier to remove a windshield from, while the poly is VERY hard.

Check around. Here I can get a windshield replaced for around $130.

Thanks for the advice!
:thumbup:

I would like to save the $$$ but it sounds like this could easily become a "learned it the hard way" situation if I don't let someone professional do this. I suppose I could hire the one done then try pulling the parts one for kicks and giggles and a future spare.

Happy Jeeping-Axle

Back