• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need to replace gas tank on 89 4l XJ not sure what to do????

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
ok my gas tank is leaking pretty bad and i have to replace it, im getting a new tank from a wrecker.

this is probably the biggest job i have ever done so im pretty nervous about it. i know i have to relive the pressure before i do anything and then disconnect all the hoses, then bring the gas tank down.

do i have to raise the jeep to do this? or if i had ramps could i just drive it up them?

also because the fuel pump is in the gas tank will that make it difficult?

i also have 3/4 of a tank in there so what should i do about that?

thanks

This is acctually a pretty simple job.

1. Drain the tank of as much fuel as possible. This will make the tank weigh about 30lbs instead of 150lbs.

2. The disconect the fuel lines and the fuel pump/fuel gage harness. They are located at the very front of the tank and easy to get to. I like to remove the pump and try to syphen out more fuel at this point.

3. Remove the skid plate (if you have one).

4 Get a jack to hold the tank and remove the straps.

5. At this point you can lower the tank just a bit to access the filler neck hose. Once this is off it will come right out.

You don't need to jack up the back unless you want to stock there is enough ground clearance for me to move around and I'm pretty big. Plus just means that much higher you have to lift the tank back up. In various parts of this it is easier to just hold the tank up yourself. Which is why I like them to be as empty as possible.

Installation is just reverse.

I hope this helps

If there's a lot of fuel in the tank it will be very heavy and tend to slosh, making it difficult to handle. I suggest you either take a good long ride somewhere, or unhook a fuel line, and try to empty the tank. You can hotwire the pump and use the pump to run the fuel out into cans. Remember "a pint's a pound," so each gallon is 8 pounds. 3/4 of a 20 gallon tank is 120 pounds of gas, and you'll find that almost impossible to balance on a jack when it starts sloshing.

Unless you live somewhere where nothing rusts, be prepared for the likelihood that the two long bolts holding the tank straps at the front will shear off. You can fabricate your own out of threaded rod, buy new ones, or if you have access to a well stocked junkyard you might be able to find some. The bolts that hold the spare tire in many XJ's are the same, except that they have a bend in them.

Leave the fuel pump and sender in the old tank until it's out, and put them in to the new tank while it's out. It's much much easier to do this on the ground than in the vehicle.

Use a non-ferrous (aluminum or brass) punch to undo the lockring on the sender flange, so that you don't make any sparks and blow yourself to kingdom come. Make sure that the fuel pickup comes out of the old tank with the little rubber nipple at its bottom end, and that the nipple then seats properly in the new tank. You may have to wiggle some to get it right. Use a new O-ring, and if possible a new lock ring. You will notice that the tangs on the lock ring are beveled on the top, to go under the tabs in the tank. All three tangs must go under the tabs at once, and it can be difficult with a new O-ring. It helps to sharpen the tangs a little more. The cheap Chinese tank I put in my 95 came with a new O-ring and lock ring, but the lock ring was very blunt. Sharpening that bevel helps a lot.

To drain my tank, well first I drove the car until the gauge was on "E", I disconnected the return line to the tank, and ran it to a gas container. I started and ran the car at idle, as the return line ran all the fuel to the container, instead of the tank. Once the motor stalled out, I removed the tank. Probably only a pint or so left.

This would only work on a vehicle with Fuel Injection, that had a return line to the tank. Pretty sure that is most XJ, but I don't know for sure for a '89.

I've empty my '89 one with the rick's way.
When you remove the pump replace the short L pipe that connects it to the flange plate & replace the main o-ring. My pipe and the o-ring were completely melted by the ecologic gasoline (we call it here green gasoline) due the alcoolic stuff in it

Rick Anderson said:
To drain my tank, well first I drove the car until the gauge was on "E", I disconnected the return line to the tank, and ran it to a gas container. I started and ran the car at idle, as the return line ran all the fuel to the container, instead of the tank. Once the motor stalled out, I removed the tank. Probably only a pint or so left.

This would only work on a vehicle with Fuel Injection, that had a return line to the tank. Pretty sure that is most XJ, but I don't know for sure for a '89.

Vary good way to do it and yes the 89 had a fuel return line(the smaller of the two fuel lines is the one that you want to remove form the tank in to a suitable gas cans sss;)

96 and up xj have only the pressure line.

Flash

I agree with everyone above BUT I wouldnt run the Jeep till it dies or runs out of fuel. That is the number one reason fuel pumps go bad. The fuel serves as a lube for the pump to keep it cool. When you get below 1/8 tank there is not enuff fuel to cool the pump and it burns out. I know some one will argue this because " they, their brother, freind, etc " ran out once and there pump is fine. I may not happen the first time but it WILL happen. I wouldnt chance it. Just run it down to 1/4 or just a little less, take your time and you will be fine.

I ran mine with a leak for a bit till it ran out you should be fine depending on where the leak is mine was at the pump.

if you have leak from the seal plate, on old cherokee, can be just the o-ring melted.
On my one, before change the oring, during breaking or any tank shaking condition, some gasoline spill out from the plate

Back