• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water on passenger side floor pan???

Scrappy Doo

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, it rained a lot here the other day. I got in my truck to find a small pool of rain water in the passenger floor pan. The windshield is less than a year old and does not appear to be the problem. My XJ is a 97 Sport. It looks like it may be comming from the heater air box assy. Anyone else deal with this leak? Any help as to where it is comming from would be great!

Mine leaks from where the heater goes through the firewall. I just drilled a hole in the floor to let it drain for now. I will fix the leak when it is warm out again

Blue XJ said:
Mine leaks from where the heater goes through the firewall. I just drilled a hole in the floor to let it drain for now. I will fix the leak when it is warm out again

I was thinking of doing that, but would really like to stop the leak, but the drill may solve the problem for now.

You might want to get somebody to sit in the XJ, then watch for water intrusion when you run a hose over the door and the cowl area at the base of the windshield. I have one XJ that needs the weatherstripping replaced on the passenger front door. This is how we found the leak, as just looking for a drip trail was not working. good luck

Don't forget to check the windows too.:roll:

I spent weeks looking all over the windshield, firewall, fenders etc. only to finally find a slight overlooked 1/6" gap:roll: at the top of the dirty rear (4 door) window. Talk about an easy fix, but finding it was shear torture:rattle:.

Drain tube could be clogged or foam type gasket between heater box and firewall could be gone.
Wherever it is coming from,find it quick and fix it or youll be replacing floor pans. The carpet has a diaper like material under it then plastic sheeting over that, a geat way to trap moisture and rot out your floor.

ren said:
You might want to get somebody to sit in the XJ, then watch for water intrusion when you run a hose over the door and the cowl area at the base of the windshield. I have one XJ that needs the weatherstripping replaced on the passenger front door. This is how we found the leak, as just looking for a drip trail was not working. good luck

I'll x2 this. This is exactly where mine is leaking. Mine will let water in on a hard rain, or if I leave it sitting and it's rained ALL day. I had suspected this where it was coming from, but had my buddy stand outside with the hose one day and blast the door, and sure enough, saw the water shooting in. Put some silicone inbetween the seal and the door frame as a temp fix and it worked for a bit. Need to get around to replacing that seal one of these days.

HI,

It would be worth checking the rear wash wipe water pipe that runs on the floor pan, passenger side on your model , driver side on mine UK. It feeds through the bulkhead near the fuse box in the foot well, I had the same problem on my 97 sport the pipe connection at the bulkhead was leaking! so every time i used the rear wash wipe water was leaking into the foot well. At the time i thought it was rain getting in as i used the wash wipe when it was raining! easy fix! hope this helps...........cya

Ok, I found the leak! This of course is after I gut the interior cause the carpet insulation was soaked. So now there is nothing but the driver's seat in my XJ. The leak was coming from the seal by the blower motor on the firewall. So aviation proseal, and the leak is gone. Now I will have to cleanup the floor and coat it with something before I put it all back together. Thanks for everyone's input. GLad to have a dry Jeep again!

Ok, now all the rust has been cleaned and the floors coated with truck bed coating. I removed all the pading from the carpet and pressure washed it, after it dried, put it all back together. Now it is quieter then it was before. Yay! the leak is gone!

I too was following this thread and found the blower seal was the culprit. I haven't yet resealed it, everytime i'm about to it rains! So i just scrunched up a plastic bag on top of the blower and surprisingly it hasn't moved and better still no water on the inside! But that damn underlay is still very wet as I haven't pulled the carpet all the way out yet

1988 Laredo 4.0, 4WD, Auto - and it's LHD - a bummer in the UK's carparks tho'

10-4, blower seal + aquarium silicone = no Lake Cherokee

Well we could all just take our wet soggy jeeps and move to the desert! Now there is a hot idea! LOL.

so during the flash floods today I noticed a fairly good stream of water flowing over the outside of the fuse panel door...it looks like maybe the door is leaking somewhere and not the firewall? I have lake Cherokee again, after I sealed everything on the firewall.

Back