• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Way Home- Trip report.....

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Well,
My '90 XJ made it back from Disneyland ( ~2000 mile round trip). All in all, very impressed. It turned over the 265,000 miles on the trip. Went up hills at 70, had to run 4wd in the snow, had to go 70-80mph in areas in California.
I usually drive my '04 Grand Cherokee, but did not want to waste my studded tires.

The motor used about a half a quart of oil, no transmission fluid. I did add a bit of power steering fluid. The only real thing I noticed was the wind noise at speed and a clicking in the right rear when the brakes are applied. Crappy gas mileage (17-20), which compared to my 04GC (20-24 w/4.0). I do think I have developed a oil leak at the oil filter/adapter. It would leave a bit when it sat for a while, but if I was stopped with the motor running, it would leave nothing. I also noticed that the idle was not as smooth running in California, not sure it was the gas or the altitude, but returned to normal at home.

I am real impressed with the xj, never thought it would run this well on the open highway.

The two questions that have come up is:

What should oil pressure be when going hwy speeds (2500 rpm)?
I have always used the 10lbs of pressure per 1000rpm

Is the door weather stripping available as a generic material or a factory deal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

This jeep will be used again for some trips, and I FEEL MUCH BETTER about using a high mileage XJ then I did before.

Enjoy,, Thanks in advance to all your input.
Bob

Oil pressure on mine is around 43-45 crusin around 2500rpm on the highway.

17-20 is pretty good for an XJ on the highway. Do you have cruise? I've been averaging 18mpg on my highway trips which are about 200 miles round trip every weekend. Matter of fact, last tank, I got about 22mpg all highway with a little bit of spirited city driving...no cruise on mine. Keep in mind the WJ is a bit more aerodynamic than the XJ....probably why the numbers were different.

You would think after 14 years of development, and aero package, the grand cherokee would do much better than the XJ. I know the XJ is just a mobile brick ( I wish I could find one of those cool decals!!), but I am OK with what is doing.

I do not have cruise control, so I know that does not help either. I think my oil pressure is ok. It is usually right above the 40 mark or just righ below. The only time it moves high is when I start it up on a cold morning. It was thinking it might be to high, and that is why I have developed a new oil leak.

Thanks,
Bob

Back