• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire chains, front or rear?

XJ Bob

NAXJA Forum User
So if any of you guys run chains where do you think they do the most good, on the front or rear?

Do you use them the same when they are required for hiway driving as when you are wheeling the backwoods roads?

Comments and your experiance with different types please. :wave1:

I have run vbar tire chains front and rear, just front and just rear. You are better to run them front and rear, or just the rear, as they put crazy stress on your front u-joints if used only on the front. Especially when you are gaining and losing traction, Have seen guys break u joints and axles. If run just in the rear you have poor steering.

rule of thumb I was taught is on drive axels front wheels on front wheel drive rear on rear both on all wheel drive.

really is there a time when you can have to much traction?

Do you think it would go in circles if you put chains on just one side front and back?:spin1: , I'have also used a cable on one of the front wheels along with chains in the back, it really helps out.

After doing some further reading I see the general idea is to run on all four wheels, or the rear if you only have one set.

I had been thinking that if you had them on all four wheels and the traction was too good it might be like driving in Part Time 4 Hi on pavement and put a bind on the drive parts. Makes me glad I have a Select Trac TC. :)

Makes me glad I have a Select Trac TC. :)[/quote]

Me too!!

Back