• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Actual Drive Wheels in 88 Cherokee?

CJR

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 88 Jeep Cherokee 4W drive. My question is, " how many wheels are actually driving when I'm in 4W drive?" I know for a conventional(i.e. open) rear differential, only one wheel drives. When I place my car into 4W drive, the vacuum motor connects both shafts in my front differential. I assume this gives me two driving wheels up front and one driving wheel in the rear for an actual 3W drive vehicle. Am I correct in this assumption? Therefore in order to get a true 4W drive vehicle, I need to add a locker or limited slip differential in the rear. If this a correct assumption?

Best regards,

CJR

I need to add a locker
Add a locker in front and rear.. you'll be glad you did.

The front being a open carrier will engage the tire with less traction over the tire with the traction. Installing lockers is the only real way to engage all wheels all the time.

When I place my car
Not really a car is it?

You are getting driving wheels mixed up with lockers. All 4 wheels apply power to the ground in 4WD, as long as all 4 have traction. If one wheel on an axle looses traction and you do not have a locker, both wheels no longer are able to apply power to the ground due to action of the differential. A locker allows any wheel, on that axle, with traction to apply power to the ground.

old_man said:
You are getting driving wheels mixed up with lockers. All 4 wheels apply power to the ground in 4WD, as long as all 4 have traction. If one wheel on an axle looses traction and you do not have a locker, both wheels no longer are able to apply power to the ground due to action of the differential. A locker allows any wheel, on that axle, with traction to apply power to the ground.
That cant be right. I know when I wheel that if one tire looses traction the other spins. If what you are saying is correct, then when my fronmt left lost traction my right front would not apply power. Same for the rear. No a locker does just that it locks the 2 axle shafts together so if one wheel is off of the ground and one is on the ground they will both spin at the same speed. If you floor it and the one tire starts smoking it has power to it and the other doesn't. Hince the term "One Wheel Wonder"

1985xjlaredo said:
That cant be right. I know when I wheel that if one tire looses traction the other spins. If what you are saying is correct, then when my fronmt left lost traction my right front would not apply power. Same for the rear. No a locker does just that it locks the 2 axle shafts together so if one wheel is off of the ground and one is on the ground they will both spin at the same speed. If you floor it and the one tire starts smoking it has power to it and the other doesn't. Hince the term "One Wheel Wonder"

If your so brilliant, why bother asking the question? It seems you have it all worked out in your mind. Go for it.

Both wheels get power if traction is the same for both. With an open differential, the only time one wheel will get power and one wont, is when one wheel has a decrease in traction from the other.....then the wheel with the decrease in traction will just get power.

So in 4wd, you could have 2, 3, or all 4 wheels receiving power. With both differentials being open, that is.

old_man said:
If your so brilliant, why bother asking the question? It seems you have it all worked out in your mind. Go for it.
Um i dont think that I asked a question. And its fact not something worked out in my mind.

This is always an entertaining topic. With an open diff you essentially have equal energy being transfered to both wheels under ALL conditions. This means that both wheels will provide equal force in an effort to move the vehicle. If one wheel meets no resistance (no traction), both wheels still propel the vehicle equally which means the vehicle doesn't move.

Hmm if you have a open diff front and rear.. if you go off roading and get where you have olny one front and reat tire on the ground you will not go anywhere. but if you have a limited slip you have a better chance of moving.. with a lunchbox locker you have a a power of a LSD but that will lock up like a locker. and be able to drive on streets. I think I got that right. Correct me if Im wrong.

gjxj said:
Actually in that situation (open diffs, two wheels in the air) NO wheels are getting power.
Wrong. Two are still getting power--they're just the two you don't want getting the power.

gjxj said:
no torque == no power, unless you are counting the little bit due to friction.

Power is usually expressed as torque x speed, and the wheel is spinning. Anyway we need to watch for sophistry here: the point is that whatever power there is is going to the wheel that spins, not the wheel that stays on the ground.

BBeach,

Thanks for the website reference. It cleared things up. I appreciate it!

Best regards,

CJR

1985xjlaredo said:
Sorry to disagree, but everything old man stated (verbatim) is 100% correct.

Back