• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear tow point?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Got stuck the other day and the only way out was pulled backwards, had to hook up to the rear bumper brackets and i dont want to ever do that again. Whats the best rear tow point. Im looking at class 3 rear hitches ten getting a d shackle and slide...

Naw, I would scrap the idea of an OEM tow hook. A hitch is much stronger, and can be safely pulled from side directions (I have experienced this first hand). Plus you can tow with it.

Hit the junkyards. I got a hitch in great shape for $30. A bit cheaper than a shiny new one that is just going to get trashed offroad. Early 90s fit my 99 with no problem.

I hit my hitch all the time, but it has saved my rear bumper and hatch from damage. I already had the nut strips for inside of the frame rail because mine had the factory gas tank skid.

sandyeggoxj said:
Hit the junkyards. I got a hitch in great shape for $30. A bit cheaper than a shiny new one that is just going to get trashed offroad. Early 90s fit my 99 with no problem.

I hit my hitch all the time, but it has saved my rear bumper and hatch from damage. I already had the nut strips for inside of the frame rail because mine had the factory gas tank skid.

X2 Hit up the junkyard for sure. You can find a hitch there for cheap and after you pull it take the nut strips out of the frame rail so you can use them on your XJ. I pulled an oem hitch and nut srtips for $50 then hit it with some Rustoleum and it looks good as new.

Back