• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Started the Jeep up to move it onto the driveway for the night....started fine, ran fine. I left it at the rear of the driveway for a minute so i could reaim my fogs (the garage door has a nice design which helps calibrate lights, lol).

Anyway I go to start it back up so I can move closer to the door and it won't start......keeps cranking but it won't fire up. So finally I push the pedal to the floor, it stumbled a little bit, and fire up. Shut it back off, wouldn't fire up....just kept cranking. Put the pedal down, and it started with just a little bit of stumbling.

Took it for a small drive, it ran great.....came back, turned it off, turned it back on, and it started without a problem.

Any ideas? I did smell a fuel smell when I turned it off for the first time so maybe it got flooded or something? It was freezing rain here......not that it matters. I had a little less than a 1/2 tank of gas so I threw in a bottle of HEET for good measure.

95 XJ I6
AW4

thats how mine acted and it was the CPS. especially with the part about stepping on the gas and it then starting (but not smooth)

I'm guessin it's carbed???Check the vac lines......fuel filter......fuel line crimped anywhere......all bolts tight on the carb base.....

You need to let it warm up on a cold start, I've had it happen on cold mornings when I forgot something in the house and needed the keys to get back in. It only took me 2x to figure it out, now I think before I start it and if I do need to go back in I grab the extra key out of my wallet. What I think happens is the fuel mix gets set which may make it hard to restart.

churky89 said:
I'm guessin it's carbed???Check the vac lines......fuel filter......fuel line crimped anywhere......all bolts tight on the carb base.....
Last time I checked, no 4.0 was carbed.....

Sounds to me like you got flooded. Little short moves like that in the cold tend to make it happen. Happens on mine occasionaly when i crank it up just to play musical cars in the driveway. This is why when I do have to play that game, i'll put my Jeep in the street and leave it running while I move the truck or the Liberty...which ever needs to get out. Better than cranking it up alot when it's cold w/o driving it.

Edit....didn't see what Rich had said.....pretty much what I was talking about.

Last edited:
Cancel what i said about it being my CPS. I just got my car back from the dealer who said the cps fixed it, its still doing the same thing, crank, no start, step on gas and it catches and fires. while the key is in the ignition on the on position, you can hear the fuel pump come on for a second or two and then off... then on... then off. Is yours doing the same thing blaine?

One of my coworker was having a problem like that and it turned out to be some fitting came loose. I cant remember what it was but i would make sure all of your fittings and vacuem line are pluged in and not leaking. My Integra had an idle problem that would kill it and not start wiht out some gas. It turned out that the intake for the vac lines where cloged. Maybe that might be a problem?

Did fuel filter last may and CPS in July. Yep, probably flooded it. Usually I let it run, this was an unintentional and well, I know now :)

EDIT - I was wondering why "how could more fuel to a flooded situation actually help start the vehicle?" Then I thought, well, it was letting more oxygen in too.....so that's probably why it started.

Last edited:
Blaine B. said:
Did fuel filter last may and CPS in July. Yep, probably flooded it. Usually I let it run, this was an unintentional and well, I know now :)

EDIT - I was wondering why "how could more fuel to a flooded situation actually help start the vehicle?" Then I thought, well, it was letting more oxygen in too.....so that's probably why it started.

Putting the pedal to the floor on a fuel injected engine actually shuts off the injectors. This is how you are supposed to crank it when it does get flooded.

Blaine B. said:
Hm, well, learn something new everyday :)

It doesn't shut off injectors when flooring it while accelerating on the highway though?

Because the engine is running....kinda need that gas to keep moving at WOT.
Only shuts them off when you're cranking it and put it to the floor.

What's the best thing to do when you flood a carb'd engine? Doesn't happen often but usually you just go back into the store and shop some more.......come back out and it'll start.

artsifrtsi said:
Not on an XJ anyway... My dad ordered a '90 YJ from the factory with a carb on the 4.0l. It was an option up to 90 on the YJ, XJ though, you are right, never happened.
That would be the AMC 258 my friend. Jeep only started putting 4.0's in Wranglers in 1991, until then the only options for the 'new' Jeep Wrangler from 87-90 was the carb powered 4.2 or the TBI 2.5L. Wranglers never left the factory with a Renix engine.

did it throw a code? if not its probably just cause it was cold. happens to mine too (4.5 stroker) just make sure its warmed up. if its OBD I though it wont throw a check engine light ( i dont think they have one?) 87-90.

lilredwagn said:
And once it starts, it's no longer cranking, so let off the gas :D
What, you mean running a stone cold engine to redline within the first 3 seconds of it running isn't good???? :D

As far as throwing a CEL, it's entirely possible. I've been chasing an o2 sensor high voltage (P0138) for about a year now. Since i've been doing highway driving since summer, I have not really seen it. However, if I do short distance driving, especially when it's cold and it barely has a chance to get warm, the CEL wil usually pop on and throw the P0138 code. Also seen it come on if I dont drive it for a few days but have to move it every couple of days to get other vehicles out of the driveway. Boy that OBD-II scanner of mine is handy :D

Back