• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8 lug hp d44 to 8lug or...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Well looks like I may be getting a built 8 lug d44, but the issue is its 8 lug. I wandering the easiest way to get it to 5 on 5.5? Only reason I ask is I have a rear 9" I want to use.

I'm pretty sure that you can use a 6 lug spindle (any early 1/2 ton chevy or ford d44), knuckle and brakes.

I happen to have an extra set of ford knuckles, spindles and lock outs.
Let me know if you are interested.
The knuckles are off a 70's model ford supercab 1/2 d44 (could possibly be used for high steer).
I got these to run high steer and then I found a set of chevy FTK's so I won't be using the ford stuff.
They have calipers, and dust sheilds although the shields are pretty beat up and I do not know the condition of the calipers but you could use them as cores. $150 plus shipping if you are interested.

Well I may just go aftermarket knuckles and the axle is already high steer (reuse the arm). So besides that I need spindles and new hubs? The warn hubs on it now won't work?

Or are aftermarket knuckles a waste on a d44? even though its the thicker hp d44?

the aftermarket knuckles were just too much $$$ for me...
I know the 8 lug 3/4 ton spindle with not work with the 1/2 ton 5 x5.5 kunckle so you will need to go to the 6 bolt spindle which is the same on most of the 1/2 ton chevy and ford d44's.

The 3/4 ton spindle is a 8 bolt (i think) and the 1/2 ton is 6 bolts...that is why you'll need the spindles as well.

I'm not sure about the hubs...the ones you have should work...i think.

Last edited:
Think I'll be going d60 rear.

Back