• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

high oil pressure

99chero

NAXJA Forum User
over the past week the oil pressure increase about 20 psi for seemingly no reason,it used to idle around 35psi and cruise and 45-50psi now it idles at lik 42psi and cruises at like 60psi, is this normal or i have sumthing to worry about, its a 99 cherokee sport with the I6 4.0, 74k on it.

i have a 1990 XJ with the same motor(well renix but same bottomend) mine dose the same thing and sometimes it will drop back down to about 20 and then back up so about 60. im not sure what causes it but mines been doing this for almost a year now and no problem i wouldnt worry about it as long as you have oil persure but it it starts to drop to 10 and lower than worry!
-Keep Jeepin

99chero said:
over the past week the oil pressure increase about 20 psi for seemingly no reason,it used to idle around 35psi and cruise and 45-50psi now it idles at lik 42psi and cruises at like 60psi, is this normal or i have sumthing to worry about, its a 99 cherokee sport with the I6 4.0, 74k on it.

That is only a 10 to 15 psi increase, but check the oil level and check the oil pressure sensor wire and connectors (and clean connections) near the oil filter. The sensor is attached, threaded into the oil filter adapter which is attached to the oil filter. A poor electrical connection can raise the oil pressure reading.

It could just be cold weather related, but if you have not changed the oil and filter recently (last 2000 miles, or 3 months) I would suggest doing so right away. The oil filter could be plugging up with sludge and bypassing the filter, thus raising the oil presure at the pressure sensor. If it is bypassing the filter, it is no longer filtering the oil.

Also, you might want to read up here on what brand of oil and filter is best. Search the words "Fram filter brand engine mobil". Three letter words like oil do not work in the search engine here.

99chero said:
ill give the oil pressure sensor wire a check because I jus changed the oil wit 5w-30 with the fram filter. thanks for the info
Jhery
In that case hitch a ride to the parts store and back to buy a real oil filter. Get a Mobil 1 or K & N, or NAPA gold, anything but a Fram oil filter and replace the oil filter before you start it again!

You can read all about how bad Fram filters are here, just search "Fram Filter" for the threads.

Oh, and do check and clean the oil sender connectors.

Also, let us know which one fixes the problem!

Back