• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sheerd off motor mount...94 XJ

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
i have a friend with a 94 XJ with the 4.0 I6. the motor mount on the passenger side sheerd off the block. it broke off to where the bolts are stuck in the block. not really enough room to get a screw extractor in and do it right. anybody had this problem before and know how to fix it??? if more info is needed lemme know.

thanks

(sorry if this has been asked before)

If there is enough threads sticking out, try some PB blaster or similar, and use vice grips to remove. Some heat to them may help also. If they are sheared off flush or inside the block, jack up motor as far as it will go, and try to drill out center, then use an easy out. If you break that, good luck.

bomb proof motor mounts? well we cant get those untill we get the bolts out.....and they are sheered off flush with the block. how far up could we jack the engine before we run into any problems?

I got 2 of them out from below the frame rail. The upper rear one from above. I used an angle head drill, it made getting to the bolts much easier. JIM.

Lower the motor. Use the Craftsman Drill out extractors and a reversible air powered angle drill. The electric angle drills are huge. Two of mine sheared off and that's how I got them out.

Never neglect your drivers side motor mount. If it's bad, you'll have the bolts shearing on the pass side...or if you jump it.

I learned all this by searching when mine did it the first time. Searching really does work!

little red cheroke said:
did u have to move the motor at all? or just use angle head drill?
Didn't move it at all for the lower 2. Just jacked it up until the upper cleared the rail. JIM.

I know this is an old thread but I had a question.

Jack it up or drop it down? I could have sworn I read in another thread that if you undo both mounts and the tranny x-member, you can lower the engine enough to get at all three with a regular drill.

Can anyone confirm? Otherwise I have to go back to the store and get the air angle drill...

Back