• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle is bashing oil Pan! Ever seen this on an unlifted jeep?

92DripCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever seen an axle on an unlifted jeep bash into the oil pan?

I found the front axle is hitting the oil pan's spot-welded skid plate. The part of the the pumpkin where the right axle tube joins did the worst damage. It crushed the chin of the skid plate, put a deep, penny-sized dent into the pan and gouged some steel out.

I just had a reman engine installed. For the past 2 weeks I kept hearing and feeling a strong bang from the undercarriage just as the engine fires up, or when I stabbed the accelerator hard and torqued the motor. And on bumpy roads it's a blunt, strong rattle, with the same feel in the floor.

The suspension is stock, and the springs dont sag. Just seems like the damn skid plate doesn't fit the chassis. The pan has a sticker that says "made in canada". Hmm.

Is there a part number on the pan? Maybe the wrong pan! It happens duing regular driving? Are the bumpstops still there? Are your springs shot?

the reman engine has the wrong pan, damn it.

Theres another sticker on the oil pan warning "this pan may no fit all applications, old pan may need to be reused" I wish my mechanic could read.

thanks all

It has to be a wrangler oil pan. Right now there's only a 3/8 inch gap between the pan and axle. As the axle rises it closes in at 1 1/4 inches and bites into the pan. Ouch.

I would lift it, but I'm upside down in this heap already. I'd actually go for better axles first, and then lift. I've got a d30 and 35...aka scrap iron.

Last edited:
I was wrong, the OEM XJ, YJ and ZJ oil pans are interchangeable and have the same capacity, this aftermarket pan was simply made for a lifted jeep. My stock jeep sucks.

How are your moter mounts?

I've got brand new mounts now, had the manifold welded and figured new mounts were the best i could do the prevent the crack from killing again. Springs and shocks are fine, and the jeep sits level.

The passenger side mount motor mount was shot, probably the victim of the oil filter mount leak, before I put new o-rings on.

So an oil leak softened a motor mount, which twisted the engine, which stressed the exhaust manifold and cracked it, which caused an exhaust leak, which fooled the ECU to rich the mixture, etc blah blah...the dominoe effect.

Why my number 1 piston skirt cracked? Most likely slapped to death. You don't hear that one everyday.

Sounds more like the oilpan was for a CJ, than anything else.

So did you change back to the stock oil pan or what?

yeah, its got a stock 4.0 pan on it now.

i believe the reman engine it had a 258 pan on it, which fit the block skirt, but made for one scary ride. I drove it almost two weeks before i realized a hole being worn into the pan.

Did you have a shop swap-out your old engine for the rebuilt? If yes, I'd be discussing a new pan with them!

yeah, the yahoo who swapped my engine got the parts store to give him the correct pan. My old pan went with my core.

Motor swaps are usually no fun, and this guy did it without a lift. He talked about reaching the lower 12 point bolts on the transmission bell housing like it was a viet cong ambush.

Back