• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Safe To Weld On Cat?

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have been doing my floorpans and i figured while im underthere i should tak my heat shield back to my cat, becuase it rattles even at idle wether its warm or cold. when it was running i put pressure on the shield and it stopped so i figure this is the problem. so what i am asking is it safe to weld directly onto the cat.

Gas fumes would be my only concern. I'm actully welding the flange on my cat to the head pipe this evening. I think also long as you just tack it and not get it to hot, you should be ok.

Make sure you have your ground on the exhaust not the frame. Otherwise you will be pulling all the welding current through the ground strap between the frame and engine. If you have a bad connection, you could fry the electronics.

the cat might not like it very much.. it might hiss and spaz ..... ....

ok i would have grounded to the frame. thanks old man, imgunna try it out, i cant take the shield off cuz i have no carpet(too hot) and with maines strict inspections ill need my cat. haha. i have a little mig, i wont heat it up to much, just lightly tak it.

Back