• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj problems LONG

bigwillxj

NAXJA Forum User
Well the other day my Cat O2 sensor got caught on my driveshaft and ripped the wiring. So obivously my check engine light came on, so I scanned it with my actron scanner. It threw 2 codes both saying O2 harness malfunction or somthing of that nature but beside one it said (Bank 1, sensor1) and then the other said (bank 1, sensor 2). Is the fact that one is malfunctioning making the other? Also i have been facing some odd problems; when I start it up and pull out of my driveway and go abotu a 1/4 of a mile sometimes it motor just loses all power, I can push the petal to the floor and the motor wont rev or put out any power but as soon as i put the clutch in it does fine it only happens in gear. Then after that it runs fine but i have been facing a very large loss of power. If anyone can help please let me know. Thanks!

Hey Will, I think I have the wiring diagram that you're looking for, but i'm not sure. It's the one that's in my FSM for a 99, but I would imagine it should be about the same for yours. You're more than welcome to take a look at it and see if it's what you need and if it helps you. If it does, I can get you a copy of that page or something.

We moved out to freidburg church rd. about 3 weeks ago....so i'm about 5 minutes (if that) from the corner of 150 and welcome-arcadia rd....right where the Exxon is. As usual i'll be home this weekend, let me know whats good for you.

Dont' ask me how i came across this thread....lol...I was looking for something else and stumbled upon it.

EXACT same thing has been occuring with my 97 XJ, except for that mine is an Automatic. I thought it was the 02 censors. Replaced them both. Even did a complete tune-up, and cleaned the transmission switch since it would nt start without me messin with the shifter.
It throws no codes.
And still haunts my 97 to this day.

my dad seems to think that when i ripped the sensor out it may have shorted out the computer b/c whatever we do it doesnt seem to turn the check engine light off. He suggests I buy a new computer, does any agree?

Back